Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

cherry red exhaust

Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They symptoms your are describing, are realated to a couple of things. Usually glowing headers or exhaust are due to extreme load, driving wot for prolonger periods of time, or due to a very lean fuel mixture. I find it hard to believe you were driving wot, and romping on your jeep soo much that it made your exhaust glow. So I would lean to either a messed up air/fuel mixture, or possible a clogged cat not letting enough exhaust through, making the exhaust gas bunch up inside, letting it sit there to heat up the metal. My evo used to glow on the tubro and the manifold, after massive highway pulls to over 140mph, but never just normal driving. If I was a betting man, I would say its due to the cat.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

The symptoms your are describing, are realated to a couple of things. Usually glowing headers or exhaust are due to extreme load, driving wot for prolonger periods of time, or due to a very lean fuel mixture. I find it hard to believe you were driving wot, and romping on your jeep soo much that it made your exhaust glow. So I would lean to either a messed up air/fuel mixture, or possible a clogged cat not letting enough exhaust through, making the exhaust gas bunch up inside, letting it sit there to heat up the metal. My evo used to glow on the tubro and the manifold, after massive highway pulls to over 140mph, but never just normal driving. If I was a betting man, I would say its due to the cat.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

im kinda figuring the cat my self but im going to drive it till somthing happens. its no wonder i 10 mpg
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi

I've never noticed any glow from my JK after being on the highway and then pulling into my dark garage. I would get it checked asap. The first thing I thought of though (like some others) is a converter issue.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I've never noticed any glow from my JK after being on the highway and then pulling into my dark garage. I would get it checked asap. The first thing I thought of though (like some others) is a converter issue.
X2....Get that checked out ASAP. I would hate to hear that it caught fire while you were driving.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsokitsgot4wd
haha, I had a Porsche 930 turbo with a ton of mods, including a larger turbo, stainless eqaual length headers and I ran a straight pipe out of the turbo. When I hit boost, the whole system would glow as bright as a brand new traffic cone.....and then belch a 4 ft stream of flames upon throttle closing. But that was a 450 hp 11 second turbocharged car... not a 200 hp nuthin muffin v6. Surprised that your jeep is getting that temps. No wonder the manifolds warp
Stock Time:
1989 930 5-speed
13.6 1/4 time....

Sounds like you spent way too much, on way too little my friend.......
Old 04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it is indeed the cat then it should be under warranty - emissions warranty is a lot longer than the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty WAS (3/36???) - I think the emissions warranty is like 8/80?? It's in the manual..

Since you just said 10MPG then I'd put money that it's the cat that's breaking down... Any dips into cold water with a hot converter?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

your jeep has a serious fuel problem and it's not running lean. It's runnig way rich, the fact that everything is red.

It could be an injector problem, timing problem or a number of things. What right now the CAT is eating it all and will burn out.

Be careful as you could lite your jeep up in flames.

I find it hard to figure that the check engine light is not on.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwiencek
If it is indeed the cat then it should be under warranty - emissions warranty is a lot longer than the bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty WAS (3/36???) - I think the emissions warranty is like 8/80?? It's in the manual..

Since you just said 10MPG then I'd put money that it's the cat that's breaking down... Any dips into cold water with a hot converter?
yeah im sure it has it a jeep i play in the river a lot. i still dont have a check engine light tho. and i wont take it in till i get one because ill be called stupid
Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goldtr8
your jeep has a serious fuel problem and it's not running lean. It's runnig way rich, the fact that everything is red.

It could be an injector problem, timing problem or a number of things. What right now the CAT is eating it all and will burn out.

Be careful as you could lite your jeep up in flames.

I find it hard to figure that the check engine light is not on.
The only way a rich fuel mixture would cause massive heat would be, if the motor was running so rich that unburnt fuel would be getting into the headers and exhaust causing it to ignite inside. I highly doubt that is the case, becuae if it was his jeep would bearly be running. Usually its a lean mixture that makes manis glow red.

But on the flip side, if his mixture was really really rich, for some reason, that could clog up the cat, and cause more backpressure then required, cause exhaust gases to get caught in side the exhaust making the mani glow......

Quick Reply: cherry red exhaust