Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning the Engine Bay

Old 06-29-2016, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by homer
I use it on engine bays and cleaning bilges in boats (on land of course).
One thing to remember is to get the engine a bit warm to help break the oily crap loose and secondly, cover the alternator and a/c with a plastic bag as the degreaser can take out the bearings ( been there, done that..)

And old toothbrush to help loosen hard to get at places.
This.

I use Purple Power or Meguiars APC, but I always be weary of the alternator. Inside the case there are two needle bearings that the rotor shaft rides on, and they are not sealed bearings. You don't want a degreaser soaked bearing. I like aluminum foil, just wrap it around the alternator if its a high mount, or do your best to not soak it with degreaser. I always use my 2000 pressure washer for the cleaning/rinsing, and I let it dry and then coat it with Sonus MotorKote water based acrylic coating.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've pressure washed the shit out of my engine probably once a week for the last 3 years. No problems here, other than a pretty shitty looking engine bay. When I'm trying to make it look good I use some interior cleaner that's in an aerosol can. I just spray it over everything and it looks new. Ain't nobody got time to clean by hand....

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Engine Bay