Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

click/tap coming from drivers side door trim/seatbelt when going over bumps

Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default click/tap coming from drivers side door trim/seatbelt when going over bumps

Well just as the title says... I'm hearing a weird clunk/tap/click sound from somewhere in the interior on the drivers side only on my 2012 JKUR whenever I drive over a speed bump or pot hole on the street. To me it seems to be coming from the drivers side seatbelt harness in behind the interior trim panel. I've tried sticking paper towel under all the trim pieces on the drivers side to maybe tighten them all up because even snapped together correctly their still a little loose. But that hasn't fixed the noise no matter how much I try mess around with it. Has anyone else experienced this noise? It's so free kin annoying and it bothers me each time I hear it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

If it's a clunk, try this with some plastic electrical tape. It has kept all five doors on mine quiet for over 4 years.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Wow great idea! I have nought that maybe it WAS coming from the door but just couldn't figure out where. Thanks for the tip I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My last jeep (a 2011) made the exact same sound and the electric tape trick worked for me. Just a few wraps of tape or else it will start to separate when you repeatedly shut the door.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same noise, but my noise is not metallic. So I am ruling out the door striker. I am 90% sure it is the recline/decline adjuster on the seat hitting the b pillar trim. It is that close...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue and have not found it yet. Mine isn't the door latch, already fixed that. Sound like something squeaking at the driver door and hardtop. Let me know I you find something.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

I love cheap fixes! Thanks boys, the tape on the door latch got rid of the noise. Made my day
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same problem on mine and it was starting to piss me off. Did the tape and damn it worked!! Great cheap fix.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 PM
R.C
JK Newbie

Having same noise in general area.Seems like its getting worst w/ time.Done pulled all plastics off over seatbelt and can't find anything.Took door panel off,but cant figure how to take the big plactic deal off behind door panel.I want to get in the door to check window slide & etc.Anybody has a right up or can tell me how it comes off?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it's a clunk, try this with some plastic electrical tape. It has kept all five doors on mine quiet for over 4 years.

Have to try this one.Been making that thump sound since the jeep was new

Quick Reply: click/tap coming from drivers side door trim/seatbelt when going over bumps