Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Click vs Tick?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click vs Tick?

I'm a carpenter not a mechanic so this is likely a rookie question. Does a 'normal' Pentastar make a rather soft clicking noise on both sides of the engine as part of its regular operation? I can hear this on mine but only when the hood is up. The clicking doesn't sound as distinct as the sound I've heard on videos about the tick problem. Is the tick super obvious?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can humor my beginner question!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

By the time the head is in need of replacement, the tick is loud and obvious. However, it doesn't start off that way. Those owners who have actually had a head replacement report hearing a softer tick on one side that gradually gets louder, as well as decrease in power and MPG. Some get the check engine light and some don't.

Just keep your ear out for changes in the intensity. Some owners report that after switching to synthetic oil, what they thought was the Pentastar tick went away.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The click ur hearing might just be the injectors working. That's normal.
A good test is to use a long screwdriver and place the handle end on your ear, the bit end on what ur trying to listen to... Kinda like a stethoscope.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are hearing valve train clatter. I've never heard a motor without it. The "tick" is a loud CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK, that is spot on the rpm of the motor. I finally got the chance to hear one in person, it is clear when it is happening.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are some videos of 2012 Pentastar engines with the Tick I found. I figured they may come in handy for someone trying to describe there noise or compare and contrast

VIDEO 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkYacLc_m2g
VIDEO 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-0YBlhJzXo
VIDEO 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRA92Cc2jYc

Last edited by Rooster76; 08-22-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

To all the posters, thank you for the input. I think my engine sounds like that 3rd video posted in the last reply (the one where the problem was resolved). I hear the slight clicking in that one too. I'll be keeping an eye on this. It sucks being in love with a ticking time bomb (pun intended)!

This was all helpful and hopefully there is at least one other person who benefitted too!

Quick Reply: Click vs Tick?