Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clock Spring Repair

Old 06-20-2016, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clock Spring Repair

Hey folks,

I've got the clockspring issue now. Yay! I"m holding out hoping FCA will issue a recall, issue started Saturday, at any rate, anyone who has done the replacement think the part could be cleaned and repaired as a temp fix? Even if it is not recalled, I'd like to wait till the "better" part is available so that I won't be wasting my time on replacing the spring assembly. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Just replace it and be done. It's a sealed unit so cleaning isn't easy and since it deals directly with your air bag, I'm not sure I'd bother with potentially messing something up.

When my light came on continuously (not just the random blink), I parked the truck and ordered the part. They've already made a revision to the part so you're not really gaining much at all by holding out. I've got disassembled pictures somewhere to show the difference in pn.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Just replace it and be done. It's a sealed unit so cleaning isn't easy and since it deals directly with your air bag, I'm not sure I'd bother with potentially messing something up.

When my light came on continuously (not just the random blink), I parked the truck and ordered the part. They've already made a revision to the part so you're not really gaining much at all by holding out. I've got disassembled pictures somewhere to show the difference in pn.
Gotcha! Do you happen to remember the correct PN? I've seen quite a few listed.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I'll go pull my Amazon history but even what came was different than what was in there and what was ordered.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'll go pull my Amazon history but even what came was different than what was in there and what was ordered.
That's nuts! This appears to be the one from amazon.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Here's my post on another forum about the spring since I can't find my original picture.

jkfreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?19928-it-s-the-clockspring-dummy-or-is-it&p=401308&viewfull=1#post401308

And here is the one I bought...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IM...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price went up a little.

Quick Reply: Clock Spring Repair