Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch

Old 08-04-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

I have an easy question. I have a new jeep 6 speed. I never had a new car that was a stick. Dose the clutch need to be broken in, do I need to do or not do anything different for the first 1000 miles. I want this truck to last.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

here are some simple things that will make a clutch last a long time.

first there is no break in period

second there are only two positions for a clutch engaged and open

when engaged there is no wear or heat being generated

open the pressure plate and flywheel are spinning and the clutch is still so it can wear

you do not use the clutch to hold the jeep on a hill

you do not use a clutch to very your speed when backing up

you do not excessevely slip the clutch there is no reason to do this

if off road use low range so you dont have to slip the clutch

slipping the clutch causes heat and wear then you get put a new one in.

I learned these lessons when young learning to drive a milk hauler truck

I have owned vehicles with clutches and I have never worn one out, I plowed snow with several trucks with clutches and never blew one out.

My last truck needed a throw out bearing and rear main seal fixed at 150k miles and with it open I told them because of the labor put a new disk in the dealer called me and said I would be wasting my money as it was not close to being worn out. This truck towed stuff plowed snow and I knew when to use low.

So remember there are two positions for a clutch engaged and disengaged (petal to the floor) no holding the pedal in an in between position as that is wear and bad.

Simple rules and they last forever.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldtr8
here are some simple things that will make a clutch last a long time.

first there is no break in period

second there are only two positions for a clutch engaged and open

when engaged there is no wear or heat being generated

open the pressure plate and flywheel are spinning and the clutch is still so it can wear

you do not use the clutch to hold the jeep on a hill

you do not use a clutch to very your speed when backing up

you do not excessevely slip the clutch there is no reason to do this

if off road use low range so you dont have to slip the clutch

slipping the clutch causes heat and wear then you get put a new one in.

I learned these lessons when young learning to drive a milk hauler truck

I have owned vehicles with clutches and I have never worn one out, I plowed snow with several trucks with clutches and never blew one out.

My last truck needed a throw out bearing and rear main seal fixed at 150k miles and with it open I told them because of the labor put a new disk in the dealer called me and said I would be wasting my money as it was not close to being worn out. This truck towed stuff plowed snow and I knew when to use low.

So remember there are two positions for a clutch engaged and disengaged (petal to the floor) no holding the pedal in an in between position as that is wear and bad.

Simple rules and they last forever.
That is the nail on the head! Good solid advice!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add something else if you have the factory 3.21 diff ratios fitted and 32" or more tyres, which results in final drive gearing that is really way too tall and puts a lot of strain on clutch components. The OEM clutch is not a heavy duty truck-clutch and will wear prematurely if slipped excessively; some JK owners have reported changing clutch discs out 3 or more times in as little as 30K miles because they were not careful backing up inclines with trailers attched and the like; be certain to shift into 4-low if you are doing this.

I did quite a bit of research before buying my JK 6-speed so I was aware of the clutch issues and the need to treat it carefully. I always engage the clutch at the lowest RPMs possible without stalling out and slip it as little as possible, and also shift into 4-low whenever offroad in order to keep the gearing nice and low and reduce the amount of work the clutch needs to do and avoid overheating it (once you smell it then the damage is already done). So far I have 50K miles on it & no sign if imminent failure, so I expect that if I continue to baby it then I should get hopefully 70K miles or more out of it.

Many owners replace their OEM clutches with heavy duty Centreforce ones when the time comes to change them out, as these are known to be tough and very capable of taking offroad punishment.

Last edited by JKlad; 08-06-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch