Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch on new '09 JK

Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default same problem

I am from Windsor Ontario...welcome fellow Canuck. My 08' Rubicon had the exact same problem at that rpm when my Jeep was brand new. I am at 5000 km mileage right now and during today's Sunday drive I brought the rpms to 4000 between shifts and the noise is dramatically decreasing as it fgets broken in. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brisnut
"Gas" engine huh? We only get Petrol & Diesel options on Oz, other new vehicles here do have a dedicated "Gas" engine options that do actually run on LP Gas or Natrual Gas
Didn't realize that was an option on Wranglers in other places. Over here I didn't even get the option for a diesel engine, only plain gas.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
I am from Windsor Ontario...welcome fellow Canuck. My 08' Rubicon had the exact same problem at that rpm when my Jeep was brand new. I am at 5000 km mileage right now and during today's Sunday drive I brought the rpms to 4000 between shifts and the noise is dramatically decreasing as it fgets broken in. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it as I get closer to 5000km and let you know if mine does the same thing. Been thinking that it may be something that just wears as the jeep gets broken in.

Also found SDJK's post interesting about the master-cyl behind the firewall, I'll have to check that out.

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lockec
Originally Posted by Brisnut
"Gas" engine huh? We only get Petrol & Diesel options on Oz, other new vehicles here do have a dedicated "Gas" engine options that do actually run on LP Gas or Natrual Gas
Didn't realize that was an option on Wranglers in other places. Over here I didn't even get the option for a diesel engine, only plain gas.
Somebody is either being picky about semantics or trying to be funny. The Britts and Aussies use the word petrol in lieu of gasoline. Brisnut was referring to "gas" as a substance possessing perfect molecular mobility and the property of indefinite expansion, as opposed to a solid or liquid; whereas you were referring to "gas" as any such combustible fluid used as fuel.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lockec
This might just be one of those new "Jeep things" that I'm getting use to but I have noticed that when I shift over 3,500rpm I get a light grinding noise/feeling in the clutch pedal. It might just be because the clutch is spinning faster and it becomes more audible but I don't get this when I shift at lower speeds. I'm wondering if this is normal or something I should ask about when I have it in for service. None of my other standard cars have sounded or felt like this.
A short while after I had possession of my 08, I noticed a similar sound/feeling in the clutch pedal. Shortly thereafter I noticed a squeak. I did a bit of research and found a lot of information on the TSB's, but then discovered this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/people-clutch-noise-please-read-43171/

Bending that heat shield solved my problem. Might work for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awndray
Somebody is either being picky about semantics or trying to be funny. The Britts and Aussies use the word petrol in lieu of gasoline. Brisnut was referring to "gas" as a substance possessing perfect molecular mobility and the property of indefinite expansion, as opposed to a solid or liquid; whereas you were referring to "gas" as any such combustible fluid used as fuel.
Yep was trying to be funny, we have many vehicles converted to run on actual gas here, it is even a factory option on some as it is cheaper per km tthan petrol for larger vehicles, as long as you keep the vehicle long enough to offset the installation cost.
And there is at least one person in Oz I've heard of who has done a gas conversion on a JK Wrangler.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by awndray
Huh?

Quick Reply: Clutch on new '09 JK