Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch not slipping but seems to be engaging very high

Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch not slipping but seems to be engaging very high

As your clutch wears will it start engaging higher and higher? I have 96, 000 miles on my 07 JK and just wondering if my clutch is getting close to the end. I cant remember what my clutch felt like when it was new. Also, if anyone had their clutch done on their Jeep (07 and up) what did it end up costing? Is there a stronger gripping aftermarket clutch. Any answers out there? Cheers everyone!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Centerforce clutch would be something to look at
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ktonrider
As your clutch wears will it start engaging higher and higher? I have 96, 000 miles on my 07 JK and just wondering if my clutch is getting close to the end. I cant remember what my clutch felt like when it was new. Also, if anyone had their clutch done on their Jeep (07 and up) what did it end up costing? Is there a stronger gripping aftermarket clutch. Any answers out there? Cheers everyone!
I noticed from the start that with my 2012 it grips pretty far back
Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine starts to grab at 1/4 release, and doesn't fully hold until 3/4... There is a lot of contact throw
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I never really paid attention when I got it (I was the 1st owner) But it starts grabbing almost all the way up. It grabs good, but Im beginning to wonder... Just seems kinda high
Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I never really paid attention when I got it (I was the 1st owner) But it starts grabbing almost all the way up. It grabs good, but Im beginning to wonder... Just seems kinda high
Have you checked your break fluid master cylinder fluid level?
Have you pulled your slave cylinder to see if its leaking?
Have you done any recent work in the break or clutch system that could possibly
lead to air getting in the line?
Just trying to think of things to check/rule out.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKred
Mine starts to grab at 1/4 release, and doesn't fully hold until 3/4... There is a lot of contact throw
Mine has around 70000 miles on original everything and the throw out bearing makes a little noise once and a while and my slave cylinder creeks/squeaks on and off but I would say mine feels about the same as jkred explained
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As your clutch wears will it start engaging higher and higher?
In the case of a traditional cable-operated clutch, in a word: yes.

However with the "self adjusting" hydraulic set up found on the JK, they engage pretty high even when new. Personally, I would much rather if my JK had a cable clutch; I find the hydraulic one very vague & lacking any real feel, & miss being able to adjust it to my likeing as it wears as you can do with a cable one. Plus, with a cable-actuated clutch all that can really go wrong is the cable can brake, which is a cheap & easy repair; between the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and hydraulic lines there is far more to go wrong with the JK's hydraulic set-up and we all know how prone to premature failure the slave cylinder is.

A way you can test how much life is left is to firstly engage it on level ground and then see how much more pedal travel is required to engage it fully (in 2WD) on a steep hill or an with the front wheels on an obstacle like a kerb or small log or something; if you have to let it out a lot more then it could be a sign you clutch is on the way out.

Last edited by JKlad; 12-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch not slipping but seems to be engaging very high