Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cold engine noise - 3.6

Old 02-14-2019, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold engine noise - 3.6

Hi All---- engine question here. I have a 2013 JK Sport 2dr, Auto, 3.6. Late last winter the engine, upon starting up cold, would make what I would call either a knocking or pinging sound. This noise occurred when starting up in temps 55 degrees or colder and only when away when the engine came up to temperature. Then the sound went away completely. No issues when starting and idling.

I took it to the Dealer and left it overnight outside. When I called back, they said the front driveshaft needed to be replaced. I already knew this because I have a 4” lift and had the original shaft. They never listened to the sound. Not at all surprised.

As winter was quickly winding down, I let it ride. Warm weather came and the sound went away. Now that it’s winter again, the sound is back.

Here is what I experience: Start it up and drive....it will be noisy under load/acceleration until I hit 3000rpm and then quiet down. Once the transmission downshifts to a lower rpm, again under load, the sound comes back. This keeps happening until the tempo gauge reaches the halfway point, then no more knocking/pinging or whatever it may be. We recently had a thaw where temps reached 65 degrees and when I started it up after work, the engine sounded fine. This is definitely an engine sound and it’s not coming anywhere else.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What oil weight do you run? I've had a similar sound (time unknown) in a '16 when it was ~20° outside after a night of temperatures in the teens.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

I have the dealer do my changes and tire rotations. Outside of knowing it's a synthetic blend, I'm not sure of the weight. I have the Jeep garaged every night and the the temp never gets below 39 degrees.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Hmmm, maybe someone else will have some input. I'm running 5w-30 and 1qt Lucas with a Mopar filter.
The following users liked this post:
3rd Jeep (02-15-2019)
Old 12-09-2023, 02:09 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2016 jk auto and it makes a similar noise when warming up. If it’s cold out I let it warm up till 131°, that’s when the idle settles down. When it’s warm out I start driving around 100°. The noise completely goes away at around 175°-185°. From what I’ve seen this may just be another Jeep thing, I hope. I just try my best to drive low rpm’s till it warms up. It’s really annoying but the thing run perfectly and I’ve got 145,000 miles. I run 5w-20 btw. Side note - I just installed the Baxter oil filter check valve/adaper, and there is not a single tick from top end when starting, even in the cold, well worth the money.

Quick Reply: cold engine noise - 3.6