Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold start noise

Old 09-14-2015, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GADozer
Was it a whistling sound only when cold?

Mine was a whistle noise 3.6 2014 JKU
Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WilKJ
I will save tgat reading. For some reason I always feel that there is an oil leak that I can't see.... Thank you.

To be clear, my grinding noise was the starter, and it has been replaced. The starter would turn and start the engine but it would stay engaged for an extra half a second.

I have had the ticking noise when starting also, but I have chosen to ignore it as long as the oil samples come out fine.
Wil, thanks for posting this. I know this is kind of an old thread. My 09 JKU has done this since I got it 9 month ago. Did some research and some guys said the bendix was sticking, causing the grinding sound, like the key was turned with the engine running. My new starter is waiting to be picked up from the shop for me to install this week. Glad that fixed your issue.

Quick Reply: Cold start noise