Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold weather sounds.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather sounds.

When the temp dips some of the sounds are nasty. The first time starting after sitting out in sub freezing and a wicked chainsaw buzz sounds for a second. When I get rolling a whine from what seems like the axle (Still there when rolling in neutral) and then the heater fan squeaks when it's on low and it's cold. It all disappears when warmed up. Anyone? Anything can be done? Just don't worry? I'm at about 25,000 miles. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The chain saw buzz at startup is the starter not disengaging quickly enough when cold. Mine did it first the first time when it hit -30*F. when it warmed up to -10*F, it didn't do it anymore.
The heater fan squeak when cold means the motor needs to be lubed.
Don't know what the axle sound is you describe.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-24-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

This would be my first winter with the carpets out (worthless top/half door seals), and I too notice a sound coming from the front axle sort of like a whirring. Its independent from the motor and seems to be coming from the middle just a little in front of the dash. Also only happens when temperature has dropped below freezing.

I have noticed some oil spots (very small) underneath the Jeep and question whether the seal around the diff is failing, and a loss of lubricant coupled with the cold weather is causing such sounds.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ronjenx, is there a way to lube the fan?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sciguy6
Ronjenx, is there a way to lube the fan?
I have not had a JK fan out. On other vehicles, removing the fan from the firewall allowed the motor to be lubed. I'll look into the service manual if you want. It should be covered under warranty, though, if you can get it to squeak at the dealership.

edit to add:

REMOVAL
NOTE: The blower motor is located on the bottom of the passenger side of the HVAC housing. The blower motor can be removed from the vehicle without having to remove the HVAC housing.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2. From underneath the instrument panel, disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector (3) from the blower motor (4).
3. Remove the three screws (2) that secure the blower motor to the bottom of the HVAC housing (1) and remove the blower motor.

It looks easy to get at, but I don't know if the motor bearings can be lubed.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-24-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 AM
JK Jedi

I had the same initial "buzz" recently in some really cold weather. I started doing something different, I now turn the key to the on position for 2-3 seconds, and then crank and have not had the sound since. I can't verify that it has actually changed anything, but will continue to do it in cold temps until it proves otherwise.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power steering will make noise on start up, when it is -20*c
when it is that cold one should be a little gentler with things, throttle input, speeds, at least until the needle comes off the cold pin.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed same buzz saw noise this AM.
0F windy out and jeep was outside all night at work.
I'll have to try the 2-3 sec delay and see what that does.
Almost sounds like same idea as glowplug warmup on a deisel, something has to get "warmed up/woken up" before starting.

And I second the go easy till the needle gets off the cold side for a bit.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

i also had this buzz noise the first time i turned on my jeep when it was really cold out but it hasnt done it since
Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ronjenx, thanks for looking that up. I have mine going in tomorrow for the fuel splash problem (new filler tube) I'll ask them to leave it out overnight and listen for it. (Supposed to be low teens in temp). If they won't listen, I'll do the work. Don't want them ripping up my Jeep and causing more noises.

Quick Reply: Cold weather sounds.