Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Collapsed radiator hose

Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
read this thread and noticed my top hose is collapsed also. I opened the cap but the hose stays flat. I even squeezed it back into shape (with cap off) I can hear it sucking but it goes right back to flat when I let go.

Reservoir looks 2/3 full, too. I'll check it when it is hot.

I'm just passed 36k miles, too! figures....

I have an aeroforce gauge and watch the coolant temp (and tranny temp) as the default displays so I know for a fact it never goes over 210F.

You folks think it is a faulty cap???
Chrysler radiator caps are crap.

Same problem on the minivan 3.8s.

Change the cap.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lopezv123
Chrysler radiator caps are crap.

Same problem on the minivan 3.8s.

Change the cap.
I'll pick up a cap. maybe a new top hose too. thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the little hose going to the reservoir and the plastic nozzle of the reservoir in case either one or both are plugged. I think in my case service tech found a plug there and called it good without checking the radiator cap as well. Good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM
JK Newbie

I don't know what your weather is like. It's probably the cap, but I had a Chevy about 35 years ago that did that and it was caused by not having enough antifreeze/coolant and ice crystals forming in the radiator blocking the flow.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
Check the little hose going to the reservoir and the plastic nozzle of the reservoir in case either one or both are plugged. I think in my case service tech found a plug there and called it good without checking the radiator cap as well. Good luck
Thanks. I checked the reservoir hose (pulled it off the cap end and blew bubbles into the bottle. No obstruction. Picking up a cap today (Levrvent/Stant).

Can anyone say what the approximate coolant levels (hot and cold) on the overflow bottle should be?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by TekWarren
Maybe this is normal but I just happened to notice it this weekend doing some maintenance. My upper radiator hose was collapsed...I mean flat as it could be no longer round at the middle section. I could squeeze the hose somewhat back into shape and hear coolant being sucked into the pipe. Is this normal? While I'm thinking about odd things...I hear a "sigh" when I turn the engine off. I notice it more when I get home from work because I have the radio off and I'm in the garage with no other noises.

Thoughts?
No collasped hoses, but I do have the SIGH as you called it when the engine is turned off, I just though of it as a Jeep thing...lol Radiator caps are farely cheap, and should be soomething kept in your on board parts bin as a spare. As already discusssed, the rad cap can cause some issues that may look serious as far as the cooling system, when it turns out to be just a defective cap. If you travel very far, also carry top and bottom radiator hoses hoses as well. Not all dealers and stores stock for every make and model. Simple job turns into a 2 day or more to wait for parts. Just my personal thought.

SLIM
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Can anyone say what the approximate coolant levels (hot and cold) on the overflow bottle should be?
When cold my coolant level is midway between max and min lines on the reservoir. When hot the level is just over the min line.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
When cold my coolant level is midway between max and min lines on the reservoir. When hot the level is just over the min line.
gotta get my eyes checked....couldn't see any max min lines...

I'll look again thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

gotta get my eyes checked....couldn't see any max min lines...

I'll look again thanks!
The Min / Max Lines are plastic " molded " and the same color as the reserve bottle itself. Shine a flash light from the other side and you will see the lines you are looking for.

SLIM
Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
The Min / Max Lines are plastic " molded " and the same color as the reserve bottle itself. Shine a flash light from the other side and you will see the lines you are looking for.

SLIM
X2 plus I have to use a flashlight when checking the power steering fluid. Oh well I may be 55 and my eyes need bifocals but at least everything else still works.

Quick Reply: Collapsed radiator hose