Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Compression braking runaway?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression braking runaway?

Anybody else noticed that the motor will speed up while compression braking with the manual tranny? I have a steep road that leads up to a field at the back of my property, when coming down the road I'll put the Jeep in 1st or 2nd gear and let it idle down. About 1/2 way down, the motor will speed up and the Jeep takes off down the hill!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Mine would do that (94 yj 4cyl.) when it was cold and the engine hadn't warmed up all the way.

However, my co-workers dodge desiel does that and he was told it was a feature made to help keep it from over heating. It speeds up the engine and allows the pump to pump more water.

Don't know if it is true but sounds good to me.

Bryan
Old 11-27-2006, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

it does this when you rapidly accelerate also, seems like it revs so you dont shift and catch the RPMS to low, it keeps them up to match acceleration... its hard to get use to
Old 11-27-2006, 09:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably has a little to do with the "drive by wire"????

Quick Reply: Compression braking runaway?