Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Confusion about flat tow

Old 07-04-2020, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Duoglide
Rob I flat tow out '14 Sport everywhere. We arrived in CO yesterday from Az. I have never once disconnected the battery and have never had an issue. I'm using the RVi brake which utilizes 12volt from the always hot plug in the console. We're full time RVers and have pulled this Jeep for almost 4 years. Also there is no steering lock on a 14 so no key in ignition. That's left over info from earlier models. Good luck.
So I guess the owners manual didn't keep up regarding the steering lock?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's correct. I'm not sure what year they discontinued the steer lock. Leave your key off and crank the wheel & you'll see is does not lock. My buddies TJ does lock. Also I did not run a charge line and have never had a battery issue even after multiple days of towing.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,620 Posts

That's correct. I'm not sure what year they discontinued the steer lock. Leave your key off and crank the wheel & you'll see is does not lock. My buddies TJ does lock. Also I did not run a charge line and have never had a battery issue even after multiple days of towing.
I'd reinforce again that this is my experience as well, and if you look on the MH sites like IRV2.com I think you'll find this is common.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

This is frustrating. There is an entire department at fiat/Chrysler whose only job is to make and update the owners manuals. You'd think they'd get it correct. I already hooked up the charge line since that was easy to do. The harder part was running the wires from the tail lights up to the front of the engine compartment.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

I'll second checking out IRV2 for towing info. I used to be real active there but not so much anymore. There's a wealth of RV info there and pretty helpful folks. They also have an app you can download for quick browsing.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

I'll second checking out IRV2 for towing info. I used to be real active there but not so much anymore. There's a wealth of RV info there and pretty helpful folks. They also have an app you can download for quick browsing.
Thanks. I've been a long time member there, but have not checked out the forums yet for towing. You are correct, that is a very good site where you can find lots of help. I only need to add the safety breakaway to the Jeep for connection to the brake buddy and then I'm ready to test the system. I leave for my first Jeep towing trip from NJ to the Shenandoah valley area of Virginia in a week.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

So after connecting a charge line up to the Jeep battery, I discover that the RV 7-pin connector doesn't not have a +12v line to provide the power! Apparently not all F53 chassis have the power hooked up. So I'll take my first trip out without the charge line. Should be fine with only 5-6 hours of driving.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo326.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	677616  
Old 07-08-2020, 02:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I can imaging there was a bit of frustration having done all that without having checked the MH side plug for power on that pin! Kinda surprising they'd have a 7-pin on the MH without having all those pins wired.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I can imaging there was a bit of frustration having done all that without having checked the MH side plug for power on that pin! Kinda surprising they'd have a 7-pin on the MH without having all those pins wired.
I posted on the IRV2 forum and got a quick answer. Ford leaves it up to the builder to decide what to do with the wires. There are actually wires ran from front to back, they are just not hooked up. So with just a little effort I'll be able to hook them up and get me some juice.

Should there be 12v supply on 7-pin connector
https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495971
Old 07-08-2020, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

I've never used a charge line towing a Fiat and then the Jeep. I've yet to encounter a problem. A vehicle that uses an always hot connection to power navigation may have issues. As far as front to back wire runs I've found a Fox & Hound device helpful. Damned if I can remember the true name but a search on Amazon will return it.

Quick Reply: Confusion about flat tow