Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Considering OE JKU Rubi tire swap to help with mileage

Old 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm averaging between 20 and 21mpg on my 2012 Rubicon 2dr 6spd manual 4.10 and stock tires when commuting to work. These conditions are a mix of small towns and hyw, generally traveling 60mph on the hyw. It's a hardtop. On a recent 400 mile trip on the interstate traveling 70mph, bucking some wind for 1/2 that trip, the average was down to about 18.5. I do think gearing is a factor in what mpg is possible, but maybe not as large a factor as what some keepers feel it is. There's 10K miles on it now. Mpg improved over the 1st 5K or so. When new, I don't think broke 18.5 till I had 1K or so on it. The dash mpg read out is usually a couple tents higher. Than calculated. I ran 32" Blizzaks this past winter and first thought they accounted for a bit better mileage (than the stock terrain tIres), but I now think the miles were just building up and things were loosening up or something, cause the mpg hasn't gone down after putting the stock tires on this spring. I do believe the winter fuel formulation isn't as good for mpg as summer fuel. I run the local premium fuel, not for the octane but because that grade here doesn't have the 10% ethanol. If I run the 10% ethanol 87 octane I see the mpg drop about 1/2 mpg. 10% ethanol has about 3% less heat energy, right. So I believe that equates to the mpg loss.

Quick Reply: Considering OE JKU Rubi tire swap to help with mileage