Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant Leak and O2 Sensor Code 08 JKU 3.8.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Coolant Leak and O2 Sensor Code 08 JKU 3.8.

I've got a coolant leak coming from the back of the engine, near the firewall, on the passenger side, from what I can tell. I'm guessing it is a hose to the heater core, but am not sure.

It threw a check engine light and the code is PO 137, which is O2 1/2 Sensor Circuit Low.

I believe the code was thrown because coolant has dripped onto the O2 sensor and is causing either the wire or the sensor itself an issue. As it cooked off, it left a crusty residue behind.

Anyone have a similar leak with an idea of what I might be looking at having to do?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmwil
I've got a coolant leak coming from the back of the engine, near the firewall, on the passenger side, from what I can tell. I'm guessing it is a hose to the heater core, but am not sure.

It threw a check engine light and the code is PO 137, which is O2 1/2 Sensor Circuit Low.

I believe the code was thrown because coolant has dripped onto the O2 sensor and is causing either the wire or the sensor itself an issue. As it cooked off, it left a crusty residue behind.

Anyone have a similar leak with an idea of what I might be looking at having to do?
Well, it turned out to be two hoses going to and from the heater core. The coolant took care of one of the O2 sensors, too. I'm surprised those hoses bit the dust. All the others still look and feel like they are doing fine.

While it is in, I'm having them basically do a rebuild of the parking brake hardware inside the rear brake rotors. They had to order parts, so they'll have it awhile and it will be expensive.

On a positive note, they gave me, for free, a 2017 JKU Sport with what appears to be a 3 or 4 inch Mopar lift with 35's and nice Fox reservior shocks. This thing is a beast! I'm hoping they take their time with my JK. They said it may be a week before I get it back, so I'm planning on having some fun with this big hoss.
It would cost me a bundle to rent a Jeep like that for a week!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

How many miles are you currently sporting? Mine is 2 years newer than yours and I like to watch your threads for things I need to keep my eyes on.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
While it is in, I'm having them basically do a rebuild of the parking brake hardware inside the rear brake rotors. They had to order parts, so they'll have it awhile and it will be expensive.
Seems like the shop is looking to buy some new toys. Brakes should never be expensive. They are simple to work on and parts are cheap. Rear parking brake shoe is only about $20.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Seems like the shop is looking to buy some new toys. Brakes should never be expensive. They are simple to work on and parts are cheap. Rear parking brake shoe is only about $20.
The problem isn't the shoes. Everything inside there is corroded BADLY. I've seen it with my own eyes and also tried to adjust them. No dice. That's why I decided to have them do it. If it was just shoes, I'd do it myself. I believe they may be replacing the cable/linkage, too.

They are a good dealer and have always done right by me over the last 10 years. Usually, they come in below or sometimes well below their estimates, too, so fingers are crossed.

Plus, throwing in the use of the big lifted JKU as a freebie for a week is way above and beyond.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
How many miles are you currently sporting? Mine is 2 years newer than yours and I like to watch your threads for things I need to keep my eyes on.
It had 118,980 miles when I drove into the service department garage. I'll tell you, she's in great shape for her age. The old 3.8 runs smooth as silk.

I'm enjoying the 2017 lifted beast, but I've noticed a couple things. First, the factory sound system in my old Rubi, with the factory Infinity speakers, blows away the base sound system in the 2017 Sport. Secondly, those big ass tires make that Jeep wander all over the place. Mine tracks like a sports car comparatively, and steers/drives MUCH better. That said, the lifted beast can drive over other cars if they get in the way.

The good news is that I don't feel like the old Jeep is outclassed. In fact, the body/frame still feels rock solid, and not that different than the new Jeep. She has aged VERY well.

Keep following along because I'm planning on keeping the old machine for a long, long time to come!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak and O2 Sensor Code 08 JKU 3.8.