Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

coolant low, how do i replace?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet

Do you know it's Dex-cool or are you just going by color?

For what it's worth the "yellow" G-05 looks reddish-orange in my JK, but it is now 5yrs old and getting flushed next week. (along with my 5 yr old brake fluid...)

If it's the OEM fill it isn't Dex-cool (OAT) it is the G-05 HOAT. Chrysler switched to HOAT in 2001 (and just changed to a new, unique OAT for 2013).
And if it is the OEM fill, it "expired" on you a year or two ago.
Im the second owner and the fluid is bright orange. 80,000miles
Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138
Im the second owner and the fluid is bright orange. 80,000miles
sounds like it might be dexcool alright. But the MOPAR HOAT has been dyed orange, too, although it's dyed yellow in the Zerex G-05 bottles.

You might want to look into that if you plan to have the jeep for a while. Can't really tell just by color any more these days.

Some of the problems using dexcool in the JK are the JK's open-air overflow bottle (dexcool is known to sludge-up in non-pressurized overflow bottles) and the dexcool inhibitor pack contains 2-EHA which can weaken seals and plastic components overtime.

Mixing OAT and HOAT (or any of the "universal" crap) can also lead to sludging or precipitation and generally kills off the extended life protection.

Last edited by Jiblet; 07-31-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: coolant low, how do i replace?