Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cruise control problem

Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control problem

Anybody else having a problem with the cruise control? Have an 11 JK and have had the buttons on the steering changed once and looked at about a month before that because I'd have to push it dozens of time to get the cruise to turn on. After my second trip to the dealorshit the put a new one in and worked fine for about a month, now it's doing the same thing again. Don't know if this is common for Jeeps and if there should be some kind of recall. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

You mentioned that you had the buttons on the steering wheel changed. My guess is that is where your problem is. Maybe the wiring or connections are not correct?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blkhwk976
Anybody else having a problem with the cruise control? Have an 11 JK and have had the buttons on the steering changed once and looked at about a month before that because I'd have to push it dozens of time to get the cruise to turn on. After my second trip to the dealorshit the put a new one in and worked fine for about a month, now it's doing the same thing again. Don't know if this is common for Jeeps and if there should be some kind of recall. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
Give the steering wheel a whack when it gets finicky. I think it has something todo with the clock spring. Mine gets like that then WHACK and things are fine for a good long while.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

YES, same issue. I have a 2011 JKU and it never wants to work when I've got long HWY drives. I can hit the CC button all day long but nothing happens. A day later I hit it and it works. I'm going to take it in and see what they say.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 AM
JK Newbie

The CC on my 11 quit working about two months after I got it. When it did work I would have to press it several times for it to work. Now nothing.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the same issue, there's a flash they can do at the dealership that they say fixes it, but I've had the flash done a half dozen times and the problem always returns. Whacking the steering wheel sometimes works, as does pushing the button repeatedly. Just remember if it sticks ON, tapping your brake will disengage it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Had it fixed for the fourth time, talked to the manager at the dealorshit and was told they checked and there is no recall at this time for the clock spring. Glad to know its not just me. But having dealt with it for over a year now have learned that a good whack at either 10 or 2 on the wheel works and sometimes a few horn blasts works also. Hoping they come up with a fix soon because beating my Jeep or having to honk the horn to get my CC to work is ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Hello

Any update with this thread?

I have same problem in my 2011 Rubicon

Thanks

Mariano
Old 03-17-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Dealorship replaced the clock spring and solved the problem
Old 12-29-2018, 02:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default What I have found

Originally Posted by Blkhwk976
number one I came across the letter that gives you an additional 15 year warranty on your clock spring. This is most likely not the case. What I found our copper contacts affixed to and adhesive tape on the switch circuit board. Apparently the adhesive starts to spread across the contacts and causes the contacts to stick or not release. Sometimes if you hit the button multiple times the contacts will release or unstick off the circuit board allowing you to turn the cruise control on. After a while this starts happening with all of the buttons on the steering wheel. I have taken it apart and peeled back the adhesive strip and cleaned it with alcohol and this resolved the problem for about a month and a half then it starts giving me problems again. I am currently looking to see if there is an updated switch.

Quick Reply: Cruise control problem