Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

This damn JEEP!!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsukey
You may want to clarify that statement. 1-2 mph max while shifting from Hi-Lo...otherwise, someone will end up ripping their transfer case out while trying to shift it from hi-lo while spinning around 40!
Just to clarify, the owners manual (which many do not read) states to coast at 2-3 mph. It also states that it can be done while stopped, but difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. It may also take several attempts.

I have shifted from hi to lo while stopped, but it was difficult and had to release the clutch a few times to get the teeth to align. It is very easy to shift while you are rolling. Rolling is the way to go. All I do now.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I turn it off before shifting. Easier to deal with than rolling
Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my auto I just put it in neutral at a stop and shift to lo. I've done this at least 50 time and never had it fail to engage the first time yet.
Now with my manual? I think I've had it in 4 lo like 2-3 times and have yet to find the secret to get it in with out the grinding sound.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07tungsten
Did the grommet thingy break? That happened to me on my 08 and that was a pain in the butt to fix. They told me to make sure we were rolling when shifting between 2wd & 4wd to avoid that from happening in the future fyi.
If you re-read the original quote, 07 tungsten is talking about 2wd to 4wd NOT 4hi to 4lo... Just trying to help clarify!

Quick Reply: This damn JEEP!!!!