Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dana 30 Bent C Gussets, Bad Ball Joints, Potentially Damaged Breaks. What to do??

Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 30 Bent C Gussets, Bad Ball Joints, Potentially Damaged Breaks. What to do??

So I have a 2012 JKU Sport with 31,5xx miles on it. At about 11k I switched to 35's and less than 500 miles ago added a front steel bumper and winch. With that said starting about 2k miles ago I started to hear a squeaking noise coming from my front passenger side tire. The noise has gotten slightly worse since I added the bumper and am trying to identify the problem. At first I thought it was just the brakes bc I've heard people on here mention they go bad early, but the brakes honestly work fine, it just sounds like hell. Another reason for my suspicion of the brakes, 8/24 I was at a farm doing so light/mild wheeling with no problems until I got to the asphalt when I immediately noticed the screeching noise was much more noticeable. Also while driving home only a 25 min drive my my dash would die (all gauges go to the left, ABS/TCS/Warning Light/ & TPM would all flash, then bounce right back to normal, Jeep would drive fine during this just the computer I'm assuming). This occurred 13 times on the drive back, and once the next morning. Since then, the dash hasn't acted up. Besides the terrible screech the Jeep drives great (Screech is much more noticable while accelerating/ rolling, but hardly while braking).
(1) Has anyone experienced anything similar to this scenario?
(2) Does anyone know of a fool proof way to test ball joints, or can I just have a mechanic look at it and tell me?
(3) My C gussets look like they maybe starting to bend. How much work would go into straightening the C gussets for reinforcement? What will happen to my Dana 30 if I keep wheeling it with bent C's?

Thanks for all input
Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

any pics? i know someone will ask that soon
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

First off, don't assume the worse. Second, front brakes last a long time on JKs. Rears wear out very quickly. Third, something as simple as a pebble caught in the brake caliper can cause a squeak. Four, unless you've been rough on your Jeep, I'd be surprised if you've bent a C already.

My inclination is to think you may have an axle U-joint or unit bearing going out, which can happen if you play in mud, sand or silty rivers. Ball joints may also prove bad once you tear into things, but I haven't seen them cause a squeak. If you search on YouTube you can find videos on how to check the U-joints and BJs. Checks are easily done in driveway, though you'll need to jack the Jeep up and have a long pry bar (piece of lead pipe works great). For unit bearing, I've always found them bad (twice in 145K miles) by the grinding noise they make. Use a mechanic's stethoscope, if need be.

As for lights going out, I don't think that is related. My Jeep has done stuff like that, including shutting itself off with a horn beep at stop lights/signs three times in a few days, only to never come back. You might pull TIPM up, check all connectors (seven IIRC), make sure all fuses and relays look good, then reseat. You could also disconnect battery for a few minutes. But if problem hasn't recurred in a week or two, as much as we all hate it, it may have "fixed itself".

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 08-27-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stixy9
So I have a 2012 JKU Sport with 31,5xx miles on it. At about 11k I switched to 35's and less than 500 miles ago added a front steel bumper and winch. With that said starting about 2k miles ago I started to hear a squeaking noise coming from my front passenger side tire. The noise has gotten slightly worse since I added the bumper and am trying to identify the problem. At first I thought it was just the brakes bc I've heard people on here mention they go bad early, but the brakes honestly work fine, it just sounds like hell. Another reason for my suspicion of the brakes, 8/24 I was at a farm doing so light/mild wheeling with no problems until I got to the asphalt when I immediately noticed the screeching noise was much more noticeable. Also while driving home only a 25 min drive my my dash would die (all gauges go to the left, ABS/TCS/Warning Light/ & TPM would all flash, then bounce right back to normal, Jeep would drive fine during this just the computer I'm assuming). This occurred 13 times on the drive back, and once the next morning. Since then, the dash hasn't acted up. Besides the terrible screech the Jeep drives great (Screech is much more noticable while accelerating/ rolling, but hardly while braking). (1) Has anyone experienced anything similar to this scenario? (2) Does anyone know of a fool proof way to test ball joints, or can I just have a mechanic look at it and tell me? (3) My C gussets look like they maybe starting to bend. How much work would go into straightening the C gussets for reinforcement? What will happen to my Dana 30 if I keep wheeling it with bent C's? Thanks for all input

I had the same issue last week but after driving on pavement road. During the entire time I was wheeling no lights or anything. Not sure if was caused because I was air down at 10psi and driving on a pavement road. I clear the codes with my superchip jk drives normal.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Does the squeak stop with slight turn to left or right? May be your unit (hub) bearing. Happened to me. Check by rocking tire side to side and look for play.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Upgrade to a front D44 All future D30 problems solved!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I had a similar issue. One of the metal clips that hold my pads on disappeared while wheeling, this caused the pad to drag slightly on the rotor.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
Upgrade to a front D44 All future D30 problems solved!
There's a lot of common hardware between the D30 and D44 if both are OEM. I suspect that whatever problem he has is with one of those common parts.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There's a lot of common hardware between the D30 and D44 if both are OEM. I suspect that whatever problem he has is with one of those common parts.
Indeed, it could just be something minor, I was more or less just being a wise ass for fun. That being said more details would make it easier for everyone to figure out which minor part may be the prime suspect.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
... I was more or less just being a wise ass for fun. ....
I knew that. And I was just trying to be gentle in my response to you while letting OP know not to take your comment too seriously.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 Bent C Gussets, Bad Ball Joints, Potentially Damaged Breaks. What to do??