Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dead at 34K

Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks hope it all works out and fast....
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SebasCbass
Man another soldier down....I hope everything works out for you and your baby. Maybe you will be the start of positive experiences. Hope all goes well
Thanks! The service manager was really cool when I talked to him, no mention of any issues yet. He asked a lot of questions about exactly what happened, and said I should be fine with the maintenance documentation I have. Its a relatively small dealership in the mountains, and I know they have been pretty mod friendly in the past, since so many people build theirs up in this area. I'm not really concerned about time, as I'm headed to Alaska in a couple days for 3 weeks of work, so it can set there while they get it worked out.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dillUSMC
get a prius motor
How about 2, one front and one rear should do the job.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skisailbike
Thanks! The service manager was really cool when I talked to him, no mention of any issues yet. He asked a lot of questions about exactly what happened, and said I should be fine with the maintenance documentation I have. Its a relatively small dealership in the mountains, and I know they have been pretty mod friendly in the past, since so many people build theirs up in this area. I'm not really concerned about time, as I'm headed to Alaska in a couple days for 3 weeks of work, so it can set there while they get it worked out.
Sounds like a decent dealer. Hopefully, they will tell corporate Chrysler just what they need to know to get the replacement okayed. Some of the better dealers are smart that way.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

It looks like your JK is fairly modified. Lift, big tires, 5.38's. I hope they don't try to pussy foot around.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WXman
Just out of curiosity, was your engine assembled in the mexican plant or the U.S. plant? I've heard the mexican plant assembled a lot of engine components wrong.
How do you figure out where your motor was built?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

I know it's on the window sticker. It's also in the VIN somewhere probably, but not certain.

From what I've heard, the engines with misaligned piston rings, connecting rods installed wrong, bearing and seal issues, oil consumption issues, etc. are mostly isolated to the mexican engine plant. My window sticker says mine was assembled in the USA. I was just curious about this...because if yours was mexican then it would be another data point for this theory.

Last edited by WXman; 07-11-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Guess I'll be calling to see about a warranty tomorrow......
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi

Good Luck!! Keep us posted!!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
I know it's on the window sticker. It's also in the VIN somewhere probably, but not certain.

From what I've heard, the engines with misaligned piston rings, connecting rods installed wrong, bearing and seal issues, oil consumption issues, etc. are mostly isolated to the mexican engine plant. My window sticker says mine was assembled in the USA. I was just curious about this...because if yours was mexican then it would be another data point for this theory.
I've been on the forums for quite a while, and have seen no real connection between engine problems, and assembly plant.
Most people don't know where their engines were built.

The engine number is on the left rear of the block, just below where the head/block parting line is. The second place in the engine number will be S for Saltillo, Mexico, or T for Trenton.

Quick Reply: Dead at 34K