Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dead at 34K

Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck and things will turn out great .
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BONDSY
It looks like your JK is fairly modified. Lift, big tires, 5.38's. I hope they don't try to pussy foot around.
Yup, we'll see. I went in knowing what I was getting into, but I didn't think it would happen this early. I'll post updates as I go.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

My 10 is @ 37.8k no problems yet. Maybe yours was built on a Monday? I'm still happy with my 10, never even had a check engine light go off.... Yet. Knock on wood.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

A guy I work with had this happen to his Nitro. Hydrolock is what the dealership said. They pulled the motor apart, and found antifreeze and water in the motor.
This whole process has taken 11 weeks so far, and they are heading to an arbitrator to get things sorted out.
Ensure that you have all of your documentation together. If you have a snorkel, and they find water in the engine, you may be on the hook for the engine.
All the best.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

that just sux no other words for it
brianj
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I've been on the forums for quite a while, and have seen no real connection between engine problems, and assembly plant.
Most people don't know where their engines were built.

The engine number is on the left rear of the block, just below where the head/block parting line is. The second place in the engine number will be S for Saltillo, Mexico, or T for Trenton.
Left while facing the engine or left if sitting in the driver seat? Also if it is on the rear of the block how are you supposed to get back there to see it? I cant get my head back there.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Here is where things stand so far:

#4 bearing has spun, and the piston made contact with a valve. No apparent damage to the cylinder wall or head. Fortunately, when it failed, I was going pretty easy down a gradual grade, dead idle, no load. And, it shut itself down right away. They are still in the process of tearing it down, so there could be some surprises still to come.

I have provided the dealer with all my maintenance records, but I have one gap where I did an oil change myself, so that could be an issue if someone wants to get really picky. The service manager thinks I will be ok, as I can show a pattern of proper maintenance. Also, there was no sludge present, no other unusual wear, and the Jeep is obviously quite well cared for.

I mentioned to him that I had done quite a bit of research on mechanical issues with JK's, and that it seemed there were a lot of reports of spun bearings on relatively low mileage '07s and '08s. He said that his experience would tend to confirm this, and he often worries because he owns an '08 on 38's.

I'm still holding my breath, but so far this has gone pretty well. The service manager has been very helpful and straightforward, and seems ready to go to bat for me.

Thanks for all the support, it's pretty cool!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wired
A guy I work with had this happen to his Nitro. Hydrolock is what the dealership said. They pulled the motor apart, and found antifreeze and water in the motor.
This whole process has taken 11 weeks so far, and they are heading to an arbitrator to get things sorted out.
Ensure that you have all of your documentation together. If you have a snorkel, and they find water in the engine, you may be on the hook for the engine.
All the best.
Thanks for the heads up. I do not have a snorkel, and my JK has never been through water higher than the hubs, so no worries there.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee
Sounds like a decent dealer. Hopefully, they will tell corporate Chrysler just what they need to know to get the replacement okayed. Some of the better dealers are smart that way.

Good luck.
Off topic, but which B.F.E Michigan? I grew up in Hart, went to Michigan Tech in Houghton, and lived in the Leelanau Peninsula for several years. Really miss the summers there, no where better on earth from May-Sept!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by skisailbike
Here is where things stand so far:

#4 bearing has spun, and the piston made contact with a valve. No apparent damage to the cylinder wall or head. Fortunately, when it failed, I was going pretty easy down a gradual grade, dead idle, no load. And, it shut itself down right away.
Interesting; this sounds more like either the timing chain getting loose & skipping a few teeth on the camshaft or something else valvetrain related (pushrod/rocker/valve spring, etc) causing the piston to kiss a valve.

Sure, a thrown rod caused by a spun bearing can cause a piston on the upstroke to let go & make contact with the head, but will usually give plenty of prior warning (spun bearings generally result in very audible rod knock that gradually gets worse over time before the bearing finally fails & the con rod lets go). With the symptoms of the computer going nuts & lighting up the dash, and the fact that the piston made contact with a valve but caused no damage to the head or cylinder wall, sounds like something else besides a plain old spun bearing is going on here. Had a buddy with an old diesel Toyota Hi-Lux (Tacoma) that was suffering similar issues to what the OP has described and it turned out that the timing belt had jumped a tooth.

Last edited by JKlad; 07-13-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead at 34K