Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dead JK No Start/Dash

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dead JK No Start/Dash

So after my JK would not start this Sunday I searched the forums for a no start/no dash indicator issue and could not find anything with the same symptoms. It's a 2010 JK

Figuring I had not closed a door and killed the battery, I tested it (12.4V) and after hooking up my charger to make sure it was in the green. Going through several pages of no start issues on the forum I could not find the answer I was looking for. All the relays, fuses and even disconnecting the battery for a few hours to try and reset any modules or the PCM, it did not fix the problem.

In the Key 2 position, I had either had NO dash illumination or full dash illumination. Even with no dash power I still had interior lights, exterior lights could be turned on as well. It would also not start in NEUTRAL and wiggling the shifter (automatic) did not change anything.

A short call to roadside assistance and my local dealer, my 2010 JK with 13000 KM on it, is now in the hands of Chrysler and according to the message that they left me, will not be ready today and they are still working on it. I'll be sure to update you as soon as I get the problem and the solution.

So, I guess the problem could be: neutral start switch, starter and solenoid or a bad module, bad chip in the key (tried both keys just in case). Not likely a PCM but I would not rule it out....we'll see what tomorrow brings!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Back from the dealership and the problem has been solved. I would recommend if you own a 2010 to have a look at your wiring harnesses that run from the firewall to the main fuse panel.

Seems some of the clips and coverings were chaffing a bit and I had several wires shorting to ground or shorting to power. I will take some pictures tomorrow of the offending area. I have been assured that there should be no long term effects and all the modules in the CAN are communicating and none of them have been damaged. They replaced the harnesses instead of just fixing the exposed areas. This is necessary because of the way the computer see's certain resistances and voltages, they need to be more precise and a 'quick fix' is not the way to go if you have this problem and you are outside your warranty, luckily I'm not.....
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Glad you have your Jeep back and all is well
Me too Craig! Everything is great, snow is finally gone and the mud is showing up all around!!

Quick Reply: Dead JK No Start/Dash