Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dealer fail on the power steering recall... PS broke on the trail

Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer fail on the power steering recall... PS broke on the trail

My buddy's jeep 13 JKR.

We were on about to go down this trail at an Offroad park.

All the sudden, he's like, my jeep is F'd up. I was in front, so I walk back up the snow covered hill and I just see pink fluid in the snow. We go back to the parking area, and it was like tracking a shot deer, following the drops of fluid.

He had just had the PS / Tranny line recall. I had mine a few months before. I pop the hood, couldn't see where it was leaking, pulled back the inner fender and I could see it spewing out little bits still.

I pulled the coolant overflow bottle and could see the line connection that was leaking. I could turn the nut by hand!!!! Trusty 18mm wrench and leak fixed. Another jeep had a quart of PS fluid, although a different color, but it got us running again.

I did see some metal shavings in the PS reservoir sitting on the screen. Not sure if that's from loosing the fluid then, or just from normal wear and tear.

He's gonna take it back to the dealer and hopefully they'll flush all the fluid and put new fluid in.

Do you guys think the different type of PS fluid will cause any issue? We didn't have an ATF+4 with us.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure they will make it right...I would still be upset. Thanks for posting, this reminds me that I need to get my Jeep in for this.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife called our local dealer and was told she is on a 5 month waiting listing, they can only get 2 a week. WTF
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scratchkenny
My wife called our local dealer and was told she is on a 5 month waiting listing, they can only get 2 a week. WTF
lol. I took mine in for heads last week. They fixed the hoses that are recalled, new steering wheel because leather is peeling, new clock spring as per TSB, new axle seals front and rear. Heads are sitting there, in the stock room. GASKETS ARE ON BACK ORDER!!! WTF is right!! Now my wife fell in love with the Lexus Hybrid loaner that I have and she wants me to buy it today for our third car. This "head issue" is costing me time and money. And money. And LOTS OF MONEY.

Quick Reply: Dealer fail on the power steering recall... PS broke on the trail