Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Death wobble on your stock Jeep JK

Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble on your stock Jeep JK

I just want to know if anyone on here had death wobble on their bone stock JK, and what they did to fix it. I have been to multiple shops and no one seems to have an answer. The most popular answers I'm getting is that its the tires. My jeep will go into such a violent wobble that it will actually pop out of gear and shake my hands off the steering wheel. I can't see tires as the cause of such a violent shake. I have had the suspension checked and the mechanics say everything is torqued to proper specs and nothing has any "play". Help, I am at a loss....
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

I had the same thing with mine, the middle of last year. I had it realigned, tires rotated, and balanced, but that did not work. Then one day, and I don't know why I did not see it earlier, I noticed the drivers side sway bar end link was not tight. In fact the nut had loosened, but was jammed up on it. I order new ones from the dealership, I replaced both sides. The drivers side had to be cut off, they could not remove the nut. I replced the tires at the same time also. So, one or the other or both was my problem. How worn are the tires? How many miles on them? I had I think over 60,000 and they are rated for 50,000 miles. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock jeep was having a DW also. had 50K miles on the stock tires...got new tires and replaced my steering stabilizer (cheap part that made a whole world of difference in the quality of my ride)

No more DW.

What I think it was is that my DW started up after getting my tires rotated. The tires had just under 50K miles and I think my front passenger tire had lost its balance weight...so nearly bald tires and unbalanced with no weight...on top of that a shot steering stabilizer that was covered in oil...yeah...recipe for DW.

Got me some 33x1250r17 Cooper STT's and now the only thing I get is compliments on how Badass my Jeep looks now. Even the dealership said it looks sick when I took it in today to get its oil changed.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have someone you know or the dealer check for play in the ball joints! at 50k they should be dead...
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

just brought in my stock 4 door with 43000 miles on it. I spent about a half hour going over the front end with the tech. Turns out all ball joints are bad and so are 3 of my 4 tie rod ends. The shop I brought it to only does jeep repair and customization so I trust what they said. They told me I was right for walking out of the dealership once they told me it was the steering stabilizer and " this happens with all the jeep its part of normal maintenance". I am hoping to have my new parts put on next week.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im getting new wheels and tires in 3 or 4 weeks, So I will start there. I appreciate all the input

Quick Reply: Death wobble on your stock Jeep JK