Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diesel JK Towing???

Old 05-31-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI...

All of you that jumped on me about good business sense and running my own company because of my comment that DCX should have designed a unique powertrain for the JK... here is an example of what I mean, and it goes along with what I said. DCX completely redesigned the new Sebring last year, and gues what fella's?? They designed an all new and unique powertrain system for it. An engine that didn't exist, not something off the shelf.

DCX needed to show more respect to the JK in the same way.

Man, some of you guys really got on me. I don't get it... I didn't say anything about your wife's, daughters, or mothers.

Oh well... to the people that answered and even commented without the attitude, thanks. To the rest... you really need to lighten up.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

According to a Jeep Engineer, the JK Unlimited's towing capacity is limited by engine cooling capacity. The aerodynamics are such that the pressure gradient across the radiator is not sufficient to cool the engine when making the power necessary to tow more than 3500 pounds. He did not mention anything about gearing, suspension, brakes, etc. As sold from the factory, it is engine cooling which limits the JK's towing capacity. So, it stands to reason a diesel JK could tow more because the diesel makes a lot less waste heat and makes more torque.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ronjenx
According to a Jeep Engineer, the JK Unlimited's towing capacity is limited by engine cooling capacity. The aerodynamics are such that the pressure gradient across the radiator is not sufficient to cool the engine when making the power necessary to tow more than 3500 pounds. He did not mention anything about gearing, suspension, brakes, etc. As sold from the factory, it is engine cooling which limits the JK's towing capacity. So, it stands to reason a diesel JK could tow more because the diesel makes a lot less waste heat and makes more torque.

Just curious, where did you get this info?

I don't doubt that cooling may be a significant restriction, based on what I've seen with overheating and hot tranny temps in the JK off-road.

As for the other items listed, they are all part of the equation in general. For example, look at the two-door and the four-door, exact same power train (cooling), brakes, etc, but yet the four door has a tow rating of 1500lbs more. I would say this is a direct result of the wheelbase and the vehicle's weight.

IMO, I think people need to realize that the Jeep is a niche, purpose built vehicle, and towing isn't necessarily one of the purposes it's built for . You don't see many people on Corvette forums complaining about the anemic tow rating they have
Old 06-01-2008, 02:30 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
Makes sense.

Now, to get the diesel offered on the JK. How long you think we'll wait?
Probably a couple years, and with high diesel prices who knows if that will cool the mainstream demand for such an engine.

Maybe they will offer that JT with the diesel, leaf springs and D60 and rate it for 5-6K pounds.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

..The current Australian Jeep web site...( still waiting for my JK to arrive ) ..lists
2300 kg...ie. approx 5000 lbs...for the Unlimited .... and
1600 kg...ie. approx 3500 lbs ... for the two door.

..This is 'properly equipped'... ie. decent ratios and with a trailer brake. They appear to make no division between diesel or petrol .... although there have been quite a few 'variations' in the details of these vehicles in print at least.
...Unbraked...we are limited to 750 kg regardless. ..ie. about 1600 lbs.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

I still think the Jk would tow 5000 lb with easy from a performance perspective, basically cooling, brakes, etc. But I do see the engine working very hard at hiway speeds to fight the aerodynamics

The problem lies in the hitch. That hitch is alittle punny. You need a different hitch that attaches to the frame rails. The stock is rated for 350lb tongue wait only.

I've a had a Liberty before, and it's tow rating is 5000lb. The motor and everything else (except Aerodynamics) are almost the same. I've towed a bobcat on a flat a short flat bed for about 10 miles with no probs. That's inexcess of 8000 lbs!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Big D2

The problem lies in the hitch. That hitch is alittle punny. You need a different hitch that attaches to the frame rails. The stock is rated for 350lb tongue wait only.

I've a had a Liberty before, and it's tow rating is 5000lb. The motor and everything else (except Aerodynamics) are almost the same. I've towed a bobcat on a flat a short flat bed for about 10 miles with no probs. That's inexcess of 8000 lbs!
Definitely would need a hitch upgrade.

As for the Liberty being "almost the same", I have to disagree. My fiances Liberty will smoke my JK, it feels much stronger, despite only being rated for about 8hp more. And the suspension on the JK is much more supple (good for off-road articulation), the Liberty has a much rougher, stiffer suspension. I think these are likely factors as to why it can tow more (among other things).
Old 06-01-2008, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Just curious, where did you get this info?

I don't doubt that cooling may be a significant restriction, based on what I've seen with overheating and hot tranny temps in the JK off-road.

As for the other items listed, they are all part of the equation in general. For example, look at the two-door and the four-door, exact same power train (cooling), brakes, etc, but yet the four door has a tow rating of 1500lbs more. I would say this is a direct result of the wheelbase and the vehicle's weight.

IMO, I think people need to realize that the Jeep is a niche, purpose built vehicle, and towing isn't necessarily one of the purposes it's built for . You don't see many people on Corvette forums complaining about the anemic tow rating they have
Like I said, the info came from a Jeep engineer. Go to jeepforum.com, scroll down to Jeep Engineering Q&A. Every so often they have engineers on line to take questions. This is where my info came from. It could all be a hoax, but I doubt it. Go to the Jeep Engineering Q&A forum and look for the Wrangler Q&A's from the March time frame (I think that's the one). He did not mention a difference between 2 and 4 door Wranglers. He talked about the towing difference between the Wrangler and the other Jeep models. Engine cooling was his final answer.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Can this be right? Let me just give you an example in terms of this line of thinking... A 2.0L engine with a huge aluminum radiator and several over sized fans could tow 7000lbs... just because it cools better??? This can't be right, right? I understand cooling is a factor in the equation, but I can't see it being the most important.

Having said that, what would you guys list in order of importance, in terms of towing capacity? This is kind of how I see it...

Engine
Trans
Gear ratio
Frame strength
suspension
Brakes ( I hesitate because the type of towing I'm talknig about considers the trailer already having brakes - that would move brakes down the list)
Cooling
Etc...

What do you think?

Last edited by rush1517; 06-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
JK Newbie

I just checked the tow ratings for Germany (because you can't buy a 3.8 Unlimited in the UK), and the tow rating is the same, 3500KG for 2.8CRD or 3.8gas. The European tow hitch is of a different design (2 inch receivers aren't legal) but they use exactly the same 4 bolt mounting as the US version.

So over here they rate gas and diesel the same but the Unlimited is rated much highter than the regular JK.

Quick Reply: Diesel JK Towing???