Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diff Fluid: "Trac-Lock Requires an Additive"

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diff Fluid: "Trac-Lock Requires an Additive"

I'll be changing my differential fluid tomorrow. The owner's manual says "Trac-Lock requires an additive." Any idea what this is referring to? Chrysler doesn't say in the manual. I've got the slippy diff in the rear. So apparently there's an extra small bottle of something that I need to add? And if so, how much? And do I subtract that amount from the oil I'm adding? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

So you have a limited slip, yes? Then you need to add friction modifier to it to help the clutches slip when turning. However, MOST full synthetic gear lubes incorporate these additives already.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
So you have a limited slip, yes? Then you need to add friction modifier to it to help the clutches slip when turning. However, MOST full synthetic gear lubes incorporate these additives already.
Correct, and thanks. I checked Mobil 1's website and you're right! Saved me money.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

There ya go I run the Mobil 1 as well.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Simple question; simple answer.

I know people who just don't appreciate the value of a vehicle specific forum.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would it be overkill to get the LSD additive from Mopar? I talked to a transmission shop who I've been going to for years and he said he would still put the LSD additive in it so it doesnt make sounds.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Basic13
So would it be overkill to get the LSD additive from Mopar? I talked to a transmission shop who I've been going to for years and he said he would still put the LSD additive in it so it doesnt make sounds.
It also would be less effective when you actually want the limited slip to attempt to power both wheels. The friction modifier allows the clutches to slip when turning and not chatter, it's walking a light between traction to both wheels, and comfort of daily driving. The more you add, the less traction you could potentially have between both rear tires.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
It also would be less effective when you actually want the limited slip to attempt to power both wheels. The friction modifier allows the clutches to slip when turning and not chatter, it's walking a light between traction to both wheels, and comfort of daily driving. The more you add, the less traction you could potentially have between both rear tires.
Summarizing this explanation: With synthetic lubes, don't add anything unless you suffer gear chatter. I've got lots of miles on Mobil 1 without the additive; you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Diff Fluid: "Trac-Lock Requires an Additive"