Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Difference between The ne coolant Oat and Hoat.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nicksabellajk
OK , My jeep is at the dealer the determined that the coolant that is there right now is the orange stuff (HOAT) I told them it should be the purple coolant according to the manual (OAT) the tech was with the advisor when they spoke to me and this is his words," i'm yet to see a 2013 jeep and 2014 jeep with the purple coolant" I said is all over the internet that effective 2013 Chrysler switched to OAT ON ALL 2013 JEEP MODELS. They looked at me like deer in the headlights, i'm happy they are going to document what coolant came from factory if have a warranty issues I also told them to please fill or tell me which coolant I need to buy. Still waiting for an answer. They told me there are going to open a STAR CASE. what ever that means.
I missed what year your jeep is. 13?

It's amazing that the color isn't obvious until you pull some out of the rad to see it in a glass. I've seem photos of that here and on other forums.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I missed what year your jeep is. 13? It's amazing that the color isn't obvious until you pull some out of the rad to see it in a glass. I've seem photos of that here and on other forums.
My jeep is 2013, and no you could see the color using a flash light, i did with the tech on the dealer lot on a 2014 jeep purple as Barney lol, mine is orange , the way they are talking they do not want to change it, i called two dealers in the area and both of them told me to use OAT instead of HOAT.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

My jeep is 2013, and no you could see the color using a flash light, i did with the tech on the dealer lot on a 2014 jeep purple as Barney lol, mine is orange , the way they are talking they do not want to change it, i called two dealers in the area and both of them told me to use OAT instead of HOAT.
I think, as markdoiron pointed out, that the problem is mixing. So 100% of either is ok.(at least for the 3.6)

But HOAT is a 5-year/100,000 mile life vs OAT having 10-yr/150,000 mile life.

Also, even though it's not purple, the (Fiat) OAT isn't dyed purple either, it is... Orange. So no guarantee your orange stuff is HOAT.

Color is meaningless or worse...

I wonder if you took two small samples of your stuff and added an equal amount of HOAT to one sample and OAT to the other, what would happen?

I guess if gunk formed in one you'd know what you had...
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would make sure to take pictures and document everything. How far away are the other dealerships? I would call Jeep and talk to them and tell them what is going on and how they refuse to put the correct type of coolant in.

Make sure they clean the system out a few times. Other wise this is what your system can look like running both types at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3878856239.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	527598  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

I called jeep they told me i have to work with the dealer to resolve the issue .
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

I also have the coolant smell issue, so they will keep the jeep over night to run some test , pressure etc. we will se tomorrow what is the outcome.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I think, as markdoiron pointed out, that the problem is mixing. So 100% of either is ok.(at least for the 3.6) But HOAT is a 5-year/100,000 mile life vs OAT having 10-yr/150,000 mile life. Also, even though it's not purple, the (Fiat) OAT isn't dyed purple either, it is... Orange. So no guarantee your orange stuff is HOAT. Color is meaningless or worse... I wonder if you took two small samples of your stuff and added an equal amount of HOAT to one sample and OAT to the other, what would happen? I guess if gunk formed in one you'd know what you had...
All dealers i called refer to the OAT for jeep as purple stuff i don't know a about FIAt. Oat for what i have read on the link on the first page of this thread has a different makeup than the HOAT
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

All dealers i called refer to the OAT for jeep as purple stuff i don't know a about FIAt. Oat for what i have read on the link on the first page of this thread has a different makeup than the HOAT
They are different additive packages for anti-corrosion.

Most everyone used to use the green stuff.

But, Chrysler went to HOAT for 2002 model year and onward. (Red or orange (one is new the other recycled) and aftermarket is yellow)

GM brought out their long life OAT called DexCool (don't know when). Unfortunately, it's orange or red.

Confusion started because most people only knew green=regular and orange=long life=DexCool.

Dexcool had a problem with gelling in some applications and got a bad rep. Turned out that Gm re-formulated Dexcool without some problematic ingredient (2-eha or something)

Fiat bought Chrysler. Fiat introduced a newly formulated super long life OAT supposedly different from either Dexcool formulation. Surprise surprise, it is dyed orange.

Fiat/Chrysler started using the new orange Fiat OAT in certain Chrysler vehicles. Then smartened up and added purple dye to call it Mopar OAT.

No one seems to know if certain 2012 JKs got Mopar HOAT or Fiat OAT (both orange?) or when the purple Mopar OAT appeared.

But we do know mixing is cautioned against.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

My dealer acknowledge that i have the HOAT, my manual says my 2013 JKU Should Have the OAT base on this ca i have them flush the HOAT out and fill with OAT?

Any Advice?

Last edited by nicksabellajk; 01-30-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer acknowledge that i have the HOAT, my manual says my 2013 JKU Should Have the OAT base on this ca i have them flush the HOAT out and fill with OAT? Any Advice?

Last edited by ricci.beyers; 01-30-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference between The ne coolant Oat and Hoat.