Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Differential Leaking

Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Leaking

Hey all,

I took my JK in for the 6000 mile maint. While having the tires rotated, we saw some leaking around the front and rear differentials. I took it to a dealer who said that it was actually a transmission problem and my "differentail tubes" were leaking and I needed a whole bunch of new parts. This is your typical dealer scenario. Took in for a small problem (new gasket, tighen cover, etc) but now it needs a bunch of work. This sounds kinda shady to me.

Any advice? Anyone else had thier "tubes" looked at
Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Had the same problem and know a few others here had a front diff leak as well. I skipped the dealer and resealed myself. Took about 30 minutes. It seems the factory didn't have the front completely sealed all the way around. Mine was leaking from the bottom left of the front diff right by the bolt.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

30 minutes!
The dealer said it's a day and a half job.
I thought I could smell some BS in what he was sellin.
Glad to know it is a real problem, just wish I could get it back sooner.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

i wouldn't let a dealership put air in my tire
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

find another dealer. and make em fix it under warranty.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

The dealer just did mine and they said it needed a new gasket and it only took them 20 minutes. They actually did a pretty good job.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjones14
Hey all,

I took my JK in for the 6000 mile maint. While having the tires rotated, we saw some leaking around the front and rear differentials. I took it to a dealer who said that it was actually a transmission problem and my "differentail tubes" were leaking and I needed a whole bunch of new parts. This is your typical dealer scenario. Took in for a small problem (new gasket, tighen cover, etc) but now it needs a bunch of work. This sounds kinda shady to me.

Any advice? Anyone else had thier "tubes" looked at
When I first read this I thought differential tubes were refering to the breather tubes, but I guess they could be claiming its the axle tubes coming from the diff carrier. Either way I think they are full of sh*t and I would report their asses to Chrysler, it sounds just like medicare fraud. Warranty fraud, ask them for it in writing of whats wrong with the "transmission" that is making the diffs leak and what parts exactly you supposedly need. GOOD LORD I HATE DEALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default differential tubes b/s

There are 5 places an axle housing can leak from- (1) around the yoke (2) either the left or right outer housing seal (behind the brake rotors) (3) From a welded bracket ( a pinhole in the weld bead) (4) The differential cover gasket (5) A housing tube where it is pressed and welded to the differential housing. Number (1) is fairly common on vehicles with some mileage on them, (2) is fairly common, (3) fairly unusual, (4) Most common, however a dripping type of leak is VERY unusual- it usually presents itself as a seep. Virtually all straight axles will seep around the covers eventually. Fix it and it will come back eventually. (5) After in is pressed into the differential housing the tube is ''button welded'' to hold it in place. Rarely is a axle housing seen that is really leaking thru a pinhole in the weld ''button''. Much more common is a tube ''seepage''. A slight amount of lube dampness is NOT a cause for concern, this seepage won't usually get any worse....The service writer at your dealership works on commission, if he doesn't sell work he doesn't eat. This motivates them to try you. However the AVERAGE service writer has never turned wrenches, that's why they come across as idiots to anyone with a minor knowledge of their Jeep......
Old 07-30-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the comments. It's all under warranty so it's not costing me anything. However I agree about it being fraud. I imagine the service writer is just trying to make a few bucks. While we are on the subject, how about this one.

I bought the Jeep from a dealer a few hours from my house because they had a better selection and made a better deal. But the dealer doing the service work is really close to my house. I went back and looked at my paper work and actually have a 100,000 mile service contract. If the 3 year warranty had expired, would the closer dealer honer the service contract? Or is it good only at the dealership where you purchase the vehicle?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Mopar contract is good nationwide, however Wally's warranties are usually only good at ''participating'' dealerships

Quick Reply: Differential Leaking