Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Differential Seepage / Sweating

Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Seepage / Sweating

I have a slight sweating/seepage at the pinion of the front diff, dealer says not covered unless it is an actual leak. Anyone else have the dealer tell them this?

Gonna keep an eye on it...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wife's TJ did this for years before I felt it was bad enough to fix, (myself. I try to avoid letting a dealer touch my Jeeps). My JK is not leaking yet. If you really don't like the answer from the dealer you took your Jeep to, maybe you could try another dealer
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

My front and rear are both wet. If it turns into a drip I'll deal with it.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Zee
I have a slight sweating/seepage at the pinion of the front diff, dealer says not covered unless it is an actual leak. Anyone else have the dealer tell them this?

Gonna keep an eye on it...
Is this from the dealer you mention in your sig? lol....

Way I see it....what is the definition of a leak?
dictionary.com says:

leak Audio Help /lik/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[leek] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an unintended hole, crack, or the like, through which liquid, gas, light, etc., enters or escapes: a leak in the roof.
2. an act or instance of leaking.
3. any means of unintended entrance or escape.
4. Electricity. the loss of current from a conductor, usually resulting from poor insulation.
5. a disclosure of secret, esp. official, information, as to the news media, by an unnamed source.

If something is coming out of something that is sealed....it is leaking as far as I am concerned. The amount of Jk's on here that have NOTHING (myself included) coming out should say that it isnt normal. Is fluid is coming out, that means as far as I am concerned that water can get in.

The days of "its a Jeep thing" are long gone, there is no excuse for that on a modern engine.

Take it to another dealer.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to my Jeep Tech guy it has to be dripping and not just weeping just like Jeep considers 1 quart used in the motor every 1000 miles normal. (reminds me to check the oil)
Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkkat
...Jeep considers 1 quart used in the motor every 1000 miles normal. (reminds me to check the oil)
WTF? That's BS.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
WTF? That's BS.
You beat the hell out me to that. While it's true most manufacturers have limits on oil loss/consumprion, 1 qt in 1000 miles is ludicrous. Using that as a guide, the crankcase would be damn near empty when time for an oil change. LMAO
Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

just proving that dealerships are a joke
seriously I take every word they say with a grain of salt and usually smirk right after.
great for stress level and comedic factor
and the fact that they really have no clue what so ever.

According the the US military standards there are 4 degrees of leaking
1 infiltration / exfiltration (word?) means no visible fluid but residue is present and wetness exists
2 minor leak real drip present 1 drip per 12 hr period
3 medium dripping (environmental hazard) dripping can be witnessed
4 major leaks requires constant replenishment and is a risk to operational status

this is what i recall from reading an operators manual for a BV 206 that i use to operate in the military.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Zee
JK Freak

I also have a grease leak on the ball joint, which is also apparently "normal".

I am going to be changing the diff fluids to Amsoil in the next couple of weeks. We'll see what happens in the next 20,000K with this. If it is normal, that's another negative against Jeep build quality. I bought my previous jeep with ~75K on it, and it wasn't sweating/seeping/leaking anywhere.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

my rear diff has some "sweating" around 2 of the upper bolts, i wouldnt consider it a leak though. it has never dripped and im going to be changing it in less than 1,000 miles anyways

Quick Reply: Differential Seepage / Sweating