Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dirty Dog Sun Screen: Velcro Issue

Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty Dog Sun Screen: Velcro Issue

I picked up a 1-piece Dirty Dog Sun Screen about a month ago. It works great but I have one gripe-

When installing, I pulled the Sun Screen tight and attached the velcro part to the sound bar with the provided strips of sticky velcro. Over time, the velcro slowly slid all the way forward almost off the sound bar. Now the Sun Screen sags down and rests on my head, no bueno. I'm only 5'10".... Anyone have a solution to this?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G36FF
I picked up a 1-piece Dirty Dog Sun Screen about a month ago. It works great but I have one gripe-

When installing, I pulled the Sun Screen tight and attached the velcro part to the sound bar with the provided strips of sticky velcro. Over time, the velcro slowly slid all the way forward almost off the sound bar. Now the Sun Screen sags down and rests on my head, no bueno. I'm only 5'10".... Anyone have a solution to this?
Did the velcro come unglued from the soundbar? I had one of mine do that and I just picked up a piece of 3M velcro and put in back. Talk to Dirty Dog though, I had a bungie break and sent them an e-mail and pictures and they shipped me out new stuff at no cost.

I just re-read the post, and realize I have a two-piece screen so my advice may not work, but do contact Dirty Dog, they helped me out.

Last edited by woodyvw9; 07-15-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: I did not read the post well enough.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by woodyvw9

Did the velcro come unglued from the soundbar? I had one of mine do that and I just picked up a piece of 3M velcro and put in back. Talk to Dirty Dog though, I had a bungie break and sent them an e-mail and pictures and they shipped me out new stuff at no cost.

I just re-read the post, and realize I have a two-piece screen so my advice may not work, but do contact Dirty Dog, they helped me out.
What happened was the glue on the back of the velcro slowly lifted away from the sound bar after sitting in the sun for some time. I actually replaced it with some 3M velcro, the kind that comes in a roll, and put it across the entire length of the SunScreen. That too slid off after a few really hot days. I contacted them and was told that it's attached correctly so I think that maybe it's a minor design flaw more than anything. Hopefully someone has a way to attach a few bungies on the back of it to pull it tight to the sound bar.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by G36FF
What happened was the glue on the back of the velcro slowly lifted away from the sound bar after sitting in the sun for some time. I actually replaced it with some 3M velcro, the kind that comes in a roll, and put it across the entire length of the SunScreen. That too slid off after a few really hot days. I contacted them and was told that it's attached correctly so I think that maybe it's a minor design flaw more than anything. Hopefully someone has a way to attach a few bungies on the back of it to pull it tight to the sound bar.
I've seen a few with bungies here in Florida. I don't have one myself yet but here in the heat I would guess that there is not much in the way of a sticker/glue that would last very long.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

I reattached mine with Goop. Holds strong.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

I guess I'll try to put some grommets in the back and figure out a way to attach some extra bungies. Maybe even put some pics up in case anyone else runs into this. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by G36FF; 07-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

I think the velcro design sucks. I am going to put a few grommets on the back edge and use bungees instead.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
I think the velcro design sucks. I am going to put a few grommets on the back edge and use bungees instead.
I had the same issue. Picked up a grommet kit and a couple of bungie cords from a local hardware store ($13 total) Took less than 5 mins to install the grommets and its been good to go ever since.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by iamspecialized

I had the same issue. Picked up a grommet kit and a couple of bungie cords from a local hardware store ($13 total) Took less than 5 mins to install the grommets and its been good to go ever since.
I stopped by Home Depot and did the same. Only took a few minutes and $11. I used a 3/8" grommet kit and black para chord so I could stretch it as tightly as I wanted. Fits really great now, zero sagging.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a common issue here. What does Dirty Dog have to say?

Quick Reply: Dirty Dog Sun Screen: Velcro Issue