Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do I have a broken Parking Pawl?

Old 10-16-2022, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do I have a broken Parking Pawl?

I drove the Jeep home from the store, put it in park, took out the key and it started rolling backwards, down my driveway. I had to use the parking brake to keep it from rolling down the hill. I tried starting the car again and it will not turn over. When I turn the ignition, nothing happens, just like a dead battery, but all the dash lights work. Is this a broken parking pawl? The Jepp is 2010 JK, 2 Door with only 20K miles on it. Can this be fixed at home or is it a big-time fix at a service center? Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2022, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 359 Likes on 335 Posts

Based on your description, it might be a shifter cable issue; the no start (Crank?) could be neutral safety switch related.. If not and a pawl issue then a transmission shop would be in order.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with the above. The shifter cable or linkage is probably broke (or no longer adjusted properly). You may want to check that and see if you can adjust it or if it is broken first.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you, everyone. Your info helped me figure it out. It was the broken plastic bushing on the transmission linkage cable, underneath the Jeep. The cable was all the way off. I was able to secure it temporarily with some wire to get it in the proper gear. When I would try to turn the ignition, the Jeep dashboard showed I was in Drive, even though the shifter was in Park.

Thanks again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atl mm:
Jay2013jk (10-17-2022), RonandJanet (10-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Do I have a broken Parking Pawl?