Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do you brakes squeak?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you brakes squeak?

I am tired of my brakes squeaking when I come to a stop. It is getting annoying! I hate pulling up to a stop light with....sqeeeeeeeeak! It sounds like I don't take care of my vehicle.

If I stop 'hard' it does not squeak.

I have checked all calipers and pads. There is no visable signs of anything wrong.

I was wondering.....Do your breaks squeak too?

4 Door Unlimited Rubicon, about 8k miles.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure about this but I think that there is a sort of compound available to apply to your pads to keep them from making noise. I have no idea about the brand name, but maybe somebody else has heard of it. I just remember a local guy in my Napa store talking about it one time.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

My brakes squeal if I apply them gently.If I release the pedal a little,the noise stops.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 9500 miles and over the last 1000 i have noticed this more and yes it is annoying b/c it sounds like i need to service my jeep.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Same problem here at 7,000 miles. Was just about to take to the stealership to discuss the problem. Has anyone has service to cure this problem?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Replaced my rear pads in the summer. The rears squeal a little sometimes just before comming to a complete stop. Not a big deal for me. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, it may be the material the pad is made from.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default squeeky brakes

My squeeking brake sound comes and goes. Mostly during wet weather(but not always). A couple of weeks ago I totaly swamped it in mud- rooftop down it was mud colored (dirt red road) even got mud in airbox- anyway after several washings, drove to work in the rain- on way home heard a scraping sound from brakes- got under and pulled weeds, mud etc. out and drove somemore and it stopped making sound. Joe
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

I had the same problem a few months ago and after several attempts to solved the problem I finally found the solution. All you have to do is use a dremmel and remove the small lip ( see red circle in the pic ) at the edge of the disc. It worked for me, no more noise

Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same problem and no excessive wear on thew pads at 15000. I do have one pad in the rear that has a hard spot that made a groove in the rotor but im not to worried about it since its at the edge. I think the factory pads are just made from cheap low quality material.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:17 AM
JK Jedi

Have never had this issue, interesting.

Quick Reply: Do you brakes squeak?