Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dodge a bullet- hydrolocking

Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dodge a bullet- hydrolocking

Today I was going through rivers at speed, you know to test the rugged ridge snorkel. But I was getting tons of water up on the roof so I should have known the snorkels not gonna help but I kept doing it,
Later I was getting back on the highway and I had the rpms around 4000 and the engine just loses power, and shuts down my dsc light is on but nothing else, I look and the snorkel is filled with water! My air filter is damp and now I really think I hydro locked I wait till the snorkel drains then I try to start it again, it starts but it won't stay running on its own for the first 5 minutes, it is idling really rough. I wait and it returns back to normal? I didn't even pull the plugs which I was about to do! I am feeling so relieved that I didn't and hopefully the engine starts tomorrow.

Lesson learned don't cross rivers and stuff at 25 mph even though you have a snorkel!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping for the best for you. Sounds scary. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 AM
JK Junkie

How deep was the water?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 AM
JK Junkie

Wow 25mph was a bit excessive! Best of luck! Sucks!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Always go slow through water. Doesn't matter if you have a snorkel or not, going fast through water is usually not needed and stupid. All the cool kids do it and come home with dead engines lol And if it's a river that has fish or any habitat in it, then you're a DB for going that fast & Fisheries will nail you if caught. Being in BC we have rivers & creeks everywhere and sometimes you find guys parking in them or ruining them driving up & down them and you just want to roll their truck down the mountain side haha You should be at or under 5mph when crossing rivers & creeks as to not disturb the bed. Go slow but always take a direct line across unless its just some mountain washout in the flats, but that wouldn't be a river or creek obviously.

You should still pull you plugs and take apart the snorkel to drain any water that may be left in there. If you had problems before, they may still be there so make sure to clean out, dry out anything & everything to be safe.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

You need to avoid running the engine as much as possible until you can get the oil changed. It is most likely contaminated with water.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have hydro-locked before. Pulled plugs, dried intake, wrung out air filter, cranked engine to get water out of the cylinders. The problem was that when cranking the engine water was able to make it past the valves and contaminated my O2 sensor. I was able to drive it back to town but it ran rough on & off until I got the O2 sensor replaced. Just a tip for those that love the bogs and water.....Keep a spare O2 sensor in your kit
Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Also if you get water on the air filter use the old school trick of holding it by ur buddies exhaust... As soon as u get home go purchase a new one ASAP
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

U should go back after its all dried up and drive in it slowly. See if any water makes it in. U may not have a perfect seal. Sounds like way too much water got in to just be water spraying over ur roof. Or if it was sealed maybe 25 mph water knocked loose one of ur snorkel connections
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Former Member

Yea I know I learned a lesson not to show off and no it was not a river it was puddles 1-2 feet deep I was going through, I got cocky and I shouldn't have, on the bright side my engine is running fine now! Idles fine and I'm going to go change the oil and the diff oil at the now

I do have them extended but I might as well, it's due soon and see if I have any contaminants in it . And I checked it over this morning, still water tight, added water to the airbox let it fill up , and then crawled under to see if it was dripping, it wasn't so I'm good. Thanks all I really did dodge a bullet on that one and yea I have a rugged ridge air filter so I cleaned that out really well .

Quick Reply: Dodge a bullet- hydrolocking