Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Does my 3.8 have a serious problem?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgetail
OK I get it now! So if I remove the line from the intake to the PCV valve and block it that'll rule it out?
All the time the engine is running, air is passing through the pcv valve into the intake. Removing the valve and blocking the hose won't eliminate it as a vacuum leak source.
Replacing the pcv valve with a new one would be the way to go, if you haven't done that already.
If you have replaced it, make sure it is completely seated in the adapter. If it isn't, the air may be bypassing the valve.
Now that may be seen as a vacuum leak.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
All the time the engine is running, air is passing through the pcv valve into the intake. Removing the valve and blocking the hose won't eliminate it as a vacuum leak source.
Replacing the pcv valve with a new one would be the way to go, if you haven't done that already.
If you have replaced it, make sure it is completely seated in the adapter. If it isn't, the air may be bypassing the valve.
Now that may be seen as a vacuum leak.
I haven't yet, it is on my list next. So why wouldn't blocking the intake hose from the PCV rule it out as a vacuum leak? If it's leaking and you block it it won't be leaking?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgetail
I haven't yet, it is on my list next. So why wouldn't blocking the intake hose from the PCV rule it out as a vacuum leak? If it's leaking and you block it it won't be leaking?
Air is always "leaking" through it. It's a regulated leak. Block it off and you have no "leak" through it. That won't tell you anything.
The best you can do where the pcv valve is concerned is put in a new one, make sure it's seated in the rocker cover adapter, and make sure the hose from it to the intake is in good condition and secured on both ends.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:57 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

possibly intake manifold gasket
Old 03-22-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

so could a bad coil pack display these symptoms? As in clear up after 2000rpm and go bad when lugging?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil pack on mine before I gave up and took it to the dealer. They replaced the PCM and that solved the problem. Luckily I was still under warranty.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Might try a vacuum gauge too. My warranty is long gone so really hope it's not the PCM...

Quick Reply: Does my 3.8 have a serious problem?