Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Doing brakes, Brake pad grease packets..what do I do with that stuff???

Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Doing brakes, Brake pad grease packets..what do I do with that stuff???

So when you buy a new set of brake pads you get those little grease packets...exactly where do you use that stuff??? Does it cut down of squealing?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the back of the pads where it will help prevent squealing. What it does is lubricate where the pads touch the calipers. The other option is to put it on the face of the rotors and they will never wear out. Of course you won't be able to stop either. I do put some never-seize on the part of the rotor that touches the hub. If you ever had a rotor get rusted to a hub you know why I do that.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kibbles4
On the back of the pads where it will help prevent squealing. What it does is lubricate where the pads touch the calipers. The other option is to put it on the face of the rotors and they will never wear out. Of course you won't be able to stop either. I do put some never-seize on the part of the rotor that touches the hub. If you ever had a rotor get rusted to a hub you know why I do that.
Do becarful on the amount of never seize you use on your rotors.. my buddy.. put i guess a pea size to much.. on his subaru... two days later he spun off two lug nuts driving down the highway...the anti seize had creeped onto the studs and then the lugs came off... we all found the story to be "quite" amusing... though i was the guy with him helping spray brake cleaner on everything....

he had just upgraded to brembo brakes and rotors... painful to stop in his car now... wish my brakes worked like that..
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Grease the back of the pads and the caliper slider pins
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies, in the past I have put a lil bit on the caliper slides but I never put anything on the back of the pad. (no wonder they squeak so much!)
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I always put just enough on the back of the pads to make them wet looking. You don't really want much more than that. It's also a good idea to coat the rim of the caliper piston before reinstalling the caliper.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OscarTheJeep
I always put just enough on the back of the pads to make them wet looking. You don't really want much more than that. It's also a good idea to coat the rim of the caliper piston before reinstalling the caliper.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Doing brakes, Brake pad grease packets..what do I do with that stuff???