Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Removal Issue

Old 07-11-2022, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Removal Issue

Alright, I did some digging around on here before posting my first post here. I just purchased a 2014 4 lifted 4 dr and I'm trying to take off the doors. Prior owner did some really suspect "upgrades" in other areas. Anyways, the issue I'm having is they had the torx bolts on the bottom hinge of the 4 doors and in the picture is what's in the upper hinges. So I only have a total of 4 bolts, once I figure this out I'm going to replace the hinges so they're all the same.

Pardon the blur but you can see that's not the regular type of hinge bolt
Old 07-11-2022, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. Good group on here. Much knowledge.. I have not seen such.. I would check the online vendors for some type of anti theft hinge bolt.. Yep you are experiencing the same to the hinges to the door many experience with paint peeling. There are Utube videos on door removal when they have been on for a lengthy time.. also check out Delran Bushings offered by the online vendors.. You can find them listed in the Vendors in Marketplace.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah that does look like some kind of one-off bolt that requires it's own socket. You might be able to get a torx or hex socket to turn them if you find just the right size.

In my case there were no bolts on the door hinges at all so I had to order a whole set.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Well that is interesting. Never seen anything like that before. Guessing maybe previous owner was worried about theft?? You might be able to get those off with simple needle nose pliers or good c-clip removal/install pliers. If you can get them off you don't really even need them, or you could buy some factory ones. I haven't used those in 9 years.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late to the party. Some quick searching those may be McGard security pins. May be worth wile to see if you can get a replacement socket for them.

McGard Security Door Hinge Pins for JK

Quick Reply: Door Removal Issue