Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Surrounds

Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Surrounds

Have the typical soft top leak. On passenger side got so bad that the seat belt got frozen in place. Just checked today and my surrounds are really loose. Tightened the bolts and now they are snug as hell. What are the chances that may alleviate the leak or at least make it taper off some?? Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

None mine are tight and I have the same issue. Soaking wet seat belt.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Well worth a try...It's the passenger side so really I don't care. So the wife gets a little wet..Who really cares...
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Try putting door sealer strips on the door surround. It sounds stupid but helped with my leak above the door.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Was just hoping for an easy, no thought, brain dead fix. Lived with it for over 7 years so not going to go nuts now worrying about it.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captainstabbin
Have the typical soft top leak. On passenger side got so bad that the seat belt got frozen in place. Just checked today and my surrounds are really loose. Tightened the bolts and now they are snug as hell. What are the chances that may alleviate the leak or at least make it taper off some?? Thanks

Make sure your door surrounds are sitting properly and the header seals A Pillar and seal B pillar are not rolled in or distorted:

From Chrysler TSB:

“Rolled” or distorted
windshield header
end seals can cause
leaks by making a
poor transition for
the primary seal to
seal against.

“Rolled” or distorted B pillar
mucket seals can
cause leaks by making
a poor transition for
the front or rear door
primary seal to seal
against.

I had a similar issue when I removed the hard top to install the soft. I had not realized that the mucket and seal had rolled under the surround and that caused the leak. Once I fixed it the leak went away.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Using a pdf suggestion someone posted I ordered some camper tape to try to replace the mucket seal and see if that will alleviate the issue. Looks pretty simple so it could be a $6.00 fix.

Quick Reply: Door Surrounds