Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Downstream O2 sensor damage

Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Downstream O2 sensor damage

My Jeep was throwing a P0157 error... had it checked at AutoZone. I tried getting the code from the odometer but it kept coming back with _done_. At the end of the day the dealer told me the wires were torn... "must be from all the bad weather". We've had a lot of snow over the past few weeks and I've not done any off-roading lately.

So my question is... how hard is it to tear the wires from the downstream O2 sensor?

Seems to me this should be better protected.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by billheese
My Jeep was throwing a P0157 error... had it checked at AutoZone. I tried getting the code from the odometer but it kept coming back with _done_. At the end of the day the dealer told me the wires were torn... "must be from all the bad weather". We've had a lot of snow over the past few weeks and I've not done any off-roading lately.

So my question is... how hard is it to tear the wires from the downstream O2 sensor?

Seems to me this should be better protected.
Have you been driving through deep snowbanks? Only way I can think of for something to get right up there & tear the wires as you haven't been offroading & getting deep mud, sticks, brush, etc up there.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
Have you been driving through deep snowbanks? Only way I can think of for something to get right up there & tear the wires as you haven't been offroading & getting deep mud, sticks, brush, etc up there.
I've been in the snow... but not really tearing things up... mostly donuts with the kids.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by billheese
I've been in the snow... but not really tearing things up... mostly donuts with the kids.
Yeah, that doesn't sound extreme though?

I tore the wires off the O2 sensor on a road car once, but that was driving over the branch of a tree during a big storm. The branch got caught up under the car and kinda wrapped around the engine pipe right up under the hood & when I pulled the branch away the wires from the O2 sensor came with it, and it also snapped the connector for the wires to the auto trans. But mind you this was a road car with low clearance, not a high-clearance Jeep.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah... Think its just the dealership's way of charging for the repair.

Quick Reply: Downstream O2 sensor damage