Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drive cycle help

Old 03-14-2020, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive cycle help

2010 jku with CEL on & code P0406, EGR valve has been replaced. Need drive cycle help to clear this DTC & reset the readiness monitors. Thanks
Old 03-14-2020, 08:37 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Presuming the battery was disconnected during the EGR replacement, I believe P0406 should have cleared and not come back if the EGR valve was the problem. See below for other possible causes.

For the readiness monitors, my experience is that the fastest method is to first turn the key on for 15 seconds without starting, start & warm up the engine, then drive at ~45 mph / ~2000 rpm with cruise control on flat highway. Some of the readiness tests appear to require a steady rpm and light cruise load on the engine. Everything but the evap monitor will typically test OK after ~10 miles of this. The evap monitor appears to like > 1/2 fuel level initially, and it can take the rest of the tank to complete.

Most OBD scan tools or software (see link below) will be able to reset DTC's as well as show which readiness monitors are complete.

P0406-EGR POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH
When Monitored: With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10 volts.

Set Condition: EGR position sensor signal is greater than 4.89. One trip Fault.

Possible Causes
(K34) EGR POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
(K34) EGR POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
(K34) EGR POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
EGR SOLENOID ASSEMBLY
PCM

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-14-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr T

Thank you, no battery was not disconnected, I will try your drive cycle recommendation.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe a scan tool is the only way to clear that code. I am almost sure a drive cycle will not clear the code......Be cool.....Mike

Quick Reply: Drive cycle help