Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drive thru car wash?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken mine through several different auto washers, no problems once I kept the tops' bolts in place.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have taken mine through a wash with brushes and no leaks with hard and or soft tops.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

What about their window cleaner, possibly ammonia based, on the soft top plastic windows. Can't that cause them damage?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally don't like the automated car wash for the JK. I tried it for the first time on the weekend and was not happy with the result. The weird angles on the jeep mean a few spots wont get totally clean. Behind the spare tire, any little piles of mud on the side steps, and between the windsheld and hood are a few areas that won't be cleaned up. Also water started dripping from the middle of my freedom top onto the dash about 15 minutes later. After reinstalling the top it hasn't happened since (been raining almost every day too). From now on I'm washing it by hand, except for in the winter when I will use the coin wash.

So yeah, don't get the top of the line $15 treatment and use caution with either top.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
What's the rule of thumb as far as wax goes and a soft top? Most auto car washes have some sort of wax on some if not all of the options.
I would not do the wax option with the soft top..hard top it probably won't hurt, but I still wouldn't do it if it was me.

Originally Posted by JimmyDutch
What about their window cleaner, possibly ammonia based, on the soft top plastic windows. Can't that cause them damage?
Yes, I would not use ammonia based products. They aren't good for any vehicle, including jeeps. They make specific window cleaners for both regular cars and vehicles like jeeps with plastic soft tops.

You don't buy your groceries at an auto store, so don't buy your auto needs at a grocery store.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Question

I've gone through the touchless wash, with the base wash to avoid the wax, and not had any problems.

Originally Posted by katzny2000
touchless car washes are great, only a few leaks in the tailgate area, but now i got the new clips, so it should not leak any more,

those car washes are jus like being in the rain, or like washing it at home, just easier.....and they dry it for you....make it nice for you....what more could you want........other than gettin it dirty again
What clips are you (is he) talking about? The stock clips usually fall out a few times when I'm removing/replacing the rear window. Nothing major, but an annoyance.

Quick Reply: Drive thru car wash?