Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drive by Wire

Old 09-28-2007, 01:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i notice a delay. right after a shift, when i gas it. i don't mind it, because i also don't notice ANY throttle hop while wheeling, without having to install a hand-throttle.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed a delay... and I find it annoying.

Sometimes (when I'm not paying as much attention as I should), I'll let out the clutch too fast / not give enough gas when starting off from a dead stop and the Jeep sputters for a few seconds and then dies. Pushing in the clutch or jamming on the gas doesn't help, it dies anyway, so there's no way to recover.

In my old TJ, I could recover from something like this by pushing in the clutch or giving it more gas, but in my JK I can't.

I'm the only driver of my JK and had it since new, so I don't think retraining the computer would help. It's just something else I've had to get used to.

Thanks DC for having my Jeep trying to out think me.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeep2Times
I've noticed a delay... and I find it annoying.

Sometimes (when I'm not paying as much attention as I should), I'll let out the clutch too fast / not give enough gas when starting off from a dead stop and the Jeep sputters for a few seconds and then dies. Pushing in the clutch or jamming on the gas doesn't help, it dies anyway, so there's no way to recover.

In my old TJ, I could recover from something like this by pushing in the clutch or giving it more gas, but in my JK I can't.

I'm the only driver of my JK and had it since new, so I don't think retraining the computer would help. It's just something else I've had to get used to.

Thanks DC for having my Jeep trying to out think me.
I used to have this same problem when I first got the Jeep, but either I got used to it or it got better. At this point I am generally able to pull the Jeep out of the sputters all the way down to about 300-400 rpm.

As far as the hesitations goes, there is a very slight hesitation in the pedal, but no worse than having to pull the slack out of the cable in my old car. As it goes for just about everything, the more you drive it the less you notice.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wife's IS300 used to have a terrible problem. When you would come to a stop, pause for a second, and then try to cross the intersection there would be a big pause. This would cause you to give it more throttle and then it would launch the car across the intersection. Real scary when there is oncoming traffic that you are trying to shoot ahead of... your mind has just enough time to wonder if the car is going to stop and stall and then whammy, you get mega throttle and the car launches. Went to the dealer initially and they had no fix. 3 years later, went in and they had a TSB, did a reflash and problem is completely gone.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

From my own experience, the lag is most noticeable when giving throttle in the 75% range, say, when cruising around 70 and then trying to pass another vehicle. I have an automatic.

For example, I'm cruising at 70 MPH and am giving 70%-75% throttle to maintain speed... about to pass: 80% = nothing, 85% = nothing, 90% = nothing, 95% = nothing, 100% = nothing!... 1 second, almost 2 seconds, then BOOM - engine roars to life and there's a surge of power pulling me backwards ever so slightly into my seat...
Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by degenerate
i notice a delay. right after a shift, when i gas it. i don't mind it, because i also don't notice ANY throttle hop while wheeling, without having to install a hand-throttle.
I think I read in the manual somewhere that when you go into 4lo the throttle proportioning is different to reduce throttle hop.
I hate the feel of the pedal. It's like stepping on clay.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, just don't like the drive-by-wire stuff. Gimme good old fashioned peddle-cable-throttle setup. Seems that you're on it to get up a hill, then it's wwhoooaaahhh once you're over the crest.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I do notice a throttle delay, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's just sometimes right after shifting, but not very often. However, I do notice that when you're at say 2,000 rpms, and you put in the clutch and let off the gas, it will stay at 2,000 rpms for a couple of seconds. Weird.

One thing I also noticed is that you can't feel the engine running in the gas pedal. Between the engine being so quiet and smooth, and no feedback through the pedal, it's hard to even tell that the engine is revving up without checking the tach.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wifes Isuzu Rodeo is a drive by wire system and it has been pretty darn good. In fact, the specs on it are very similar to my jk. It has a 3.2 with and auto that has very similar gearing to the auto in the jk and has a d44 rear with 4.1 gears plus the pinion gear is different than other d44s. The horse power rating is the same but the rodeo moves better. Of course its turn radius sucks compared to my jk and bronco. I think the big problem with the 3.8 in the jk is the cam is just wrong for a 4x4. It needs a cam that can put the power band in the correct place and 4000 in the correct place except for mud bogging and then it needs to be higher.

Bottom line is the Isuzu 3.2 kicks the crappler 3.8's ass.

Edit: the thing that whigs me out is how the tranny downshifts hard at very low speeds. Its not like these things have a shift kit in them.

Last edited by Blue; 09-28-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I've driven cars with horrible delay... and I've driven cars with no delay. I didn't really notice any hesitation with the wrangler at all. Most cars on the road are drive by wire now-a-days, so it's something most of us will have to get used to...

What you will notice, which a lot of people complain about with other new manual cars (it seems to be a huge issue with 07 Civic Si owners), but not so much with Jeep owners, is with the manual transmission, the drive by wire holds revs pretty long. I'm not sure if this is the same with the auto, but push the clutch at 2,000, and it'll stay right around 2,000 for a good while....
I can confirm the issue with the Civic Si's, it holds the revs eliminating the need for heal and toe shifting though. Took me a bit to realize that, because heel and toe just wasn't working. Now I just shift without trying to heel and toe and it is magic.

I'm curious how the JK will be... once I get it...

Quick Reply: Drive by Wire