Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Drive by Wire

Old 09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee
I can confirm the issue with the Civic Si's, it holds the revs eliminating the need for heal and toe shifting though. Took me a bit to realize that, because heel and toe just wasn't working. Now I just shift without trying to heel and toe and it is magic.

I'm curious how the JK will be... once I get it...
The rev holding is to reduce emissions, not for better shifting.....sorry......
Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by John L
The rev holding is to reduce emissions, not for better shifting.....sorry......
hmm... better shifts are a side benefit then. I stand corrected.

You can't heel/toe the Si/CSX worth crap.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Throttle lag

It definitely lags quite a bit. It is much more noticeable from 1st to 2nd and initial takeoff. In the higher gears it is not noticeable to me. I really hope flashing this thing will fix that lag.

I went to the Chrysler web site and asked them to please stop putting all that computer crap into the jeep. If I wanted a freaking yuppy mobile with all kinds of widgets in it I would have bought one. I buy a jeep for two reasons. Its (was)dependable and fun in the woods.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

My complaint is on "tip in" from having your foot off the pedal. My other "cable operated' truck you can just press the throttle a tiny bit and away you go. Nice for low speed manuvers, like backing up. On the JK I sit there as I slowly add more and more throttle until it finally realizes that I want it to move. Sometimes it feels like I more the pedal a full inch or more before it moves.

If I drive the JK for a few days and get in my truck, I squeal the tires almost every time I leave a light for the first few miles. Between the "barely adequate" power and the "long travel" initial pedal it trains me to be aggressive with the pedal.

One last thing. NO it is not in my head!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

you know, i think that it could be a good thing... instead of just the EXPLOSION of power, and therefore - exploding something in the process, it has time to "warm up" if you say, before goin'.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still really don't see the lag.... Maybe I'm just too used to it???

Well, I do see the lag sometimes, and it's scary. When starting in first, if you don't give her enough initially, she'll bog down, dance for a second, then stall.... it's the point of no return, where no matter what you do: press in the clutch, floor the throttle.... it's going to stall...

Very scary if you're turning left onto a street with oncoming traffic.... VERY VERY scary if you do it turning onto a street with oncoming traffic, and then the jeep does the 5 second start thing.... happened today....
Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I still really don't see the lag.... Maybe I'm just too used to it???

Well, I do see the lag sometimes, and it's scary. When starting in first, if you don't give her enough initially, she'll bog down, dance for a second, then stall.... it's the point of no return, where no matter what you do: press in the clutch, floor the throttle.... it's going to stall...

Very scary if you're turning left onto a street with oncoming traffic.... VERY VERY scary if you do it turning onto a street with oncoming traffic, and then the jeep does the 5 second start thing.... happened today....
mine doesn't do this,... it'll bog, but i can always save it with a clutch or more gas... the drive by wire is definately not as responsive as my TJ with a cam and the edge kit and billet bored out throttle body... but now that i'm used to it, i can get the JK moving in a hurry if i really kick it in ass
Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

I think the reason for the stalling (especially for previous jeep owners) is the huge difference in the torque curves. The old straight 6 had pretty much the same torque from stall all the way up to redline. What was that about 3200 rpms?
I kid I kid.
Let's not for get the upside of drive by wire. The different algorithm for 4 lo certainly helps when climbing the steep stuff. And like someone else pointed out, wil reduce wear & tear on driveline & suspesion components.

The wire is probably not the priciple cause for lag. Jet fighters also use fly by wire & they perform pretty well.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I test drove a 2008 4 dr sahara automatic and I was not aware at that time it was drive by wire. It worked smooth enough that I didn't notice or think twice about it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
... Jet fighters also use fly by wire & they perform pretty well.
Yeah, this is actually where the term "fly-by-wire" originated from...jet fighters!

Quick Reply: Drive by Wire