Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Driveshaft boot clamp broken-not serviceable!?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys...I doubt a hose clamp would throw it out of balance, or if your really concerned about it, run two hooked together with the screws 180 from each other. It is rocket science. You might be crazy if you purchase a new driveshaft
Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THERE'S an idea! two 2" hose clamps! so simple it's ingenious! Well, I picked up a package of very HD black plastic zip ties to replace the small white ones (I actually had to daisy-chain two of those together as well). I'm still waiting for my client who makes CV boots to get back to me about the clamps. If that doesn't work, I'll buy stainless zip ties. I've seen them all over the web. Just gotta find the best ones that aren't only sold by the 100!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Front shaft boot

I had the same issue w/ my front shaft boot ..ordered a replacement online from one of the many Mopar parts sites $15.99 + shipping(new boot & clamps)called a propeller shaft boot.
It had been loose for about 6 months,no issues though.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

go to a differnt dealer. cause that happend to my front driveshaft like two weeks after i bought it and i took it to the dealer where i bought and they said the drive shaft had to be replaced and i would have to pay for it.

i went down the road and they replaced the driveshaft under warrenty.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i really don't want to replace the driveshaft right now. I'll just clamp it. If the thing fails at some point, I'll remove my home made clamp and make someone replace it then. Or just go aftermarket. What's better about an aftermarket driveshaft if I'm not lifting mroe than 2.5"?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yes it's true!

...got off the trail then hit the highway and the clamp camp loose too. It mad a hell of a noise as it was hitting the lip of the pan and bending the lip a bit. I got the clamp off and within half a mile the boot started coming apart also hitting the lip of the pan. No big deal. I'll just take it to the dealer and heve them replace the boot and clamps since it's under warranty. I called them and i am in shock that a perfectly good shaft has to be sacrificed because of a simple boot and clamp!!! This must be a factory defect...clamps that fall off because of a rocky trail? It's a wrangler for crying out loud....are you kidding me?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lost mine too, but it came un-done and i heard a jongling sound when i had the windows down or doors off. After checking it out, i put the clamp back on and it later came off, so i cut off the piece that was hanging there and left the rest. There is grease splatter on the side of the transfercase but i'll clean it eventually.

I honestly didn't think of zip ties on the boot. Maybe i will use some black duct tape over the cut up front end and then zip tie it.

Or just cut the whole thing off and check it/keep it greased. simply can't afford to buy a new front driveshaft.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

you can buy that same type of clamp and the tool to tighten them at most autoparts stores.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Since Wyckoff is a site sponsor, this link should be good. Notice that the boot is available, just as ricrac12525 said:

http://www.partswebsite.com/wyckoffm...=20&type=parts
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice that link has the DS for a d30 costing triple that of the d44.

Doesn't look very accurate.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft boot clamp broken-not serviceable!?