Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

drivetrain squeal

Old 10-14-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivetrain squeal

Getting a slight squeal out of the drivetrain, I think more from the rear, when the Jeep is in motion. Been tough to nail down because, well, it only happens when rolling and I can't be underneath it then. :-)

Definitely a rotational thing, if I come to a stop while it's happening it stops when the Jeep comes to rest.

What all would you check? I live in Phoenix and have gone wheeling a few times, so it could just be a matter of dust or whatnot. Only 3K miles on the Jeep (just did first oil change last night). Rear diff has the limited slip.

Thanks,
Jeff

'07 JK X, 4.10s, 255s, limited slip, red rock crystal
Old 11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here - they could not duplicate it in the shop - will stop by when the shop manager is in and its doing it. I've read it is the pinion bearing and seal...if I cant get the shop clowns to fix it - I'll do it myself and take pictures. Was extra loud today - even my 7 year old can hear it so I know its not in my head...lol

From Jeep2Times thread...

C/S Squeak from L/F Wheel. Found that the front diff pinion seal is dry and making noise. Removed and replaced. Test Drove. Noise is gone.

Parts:
1ea Seal Driv 2010066 / FP Number: 68004072-AA
1ea Nut Pinio 2003014 / FP Number 4720895

Looks like the Seal was replaced, not the bearing.

Again, I will try with dealership before my buddy and I start tearing.

Last edited by JEEPJK; 11-11-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: drivetrain squeal