Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dun da dunnn

Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Dun da dunnn

Going to go to the top of some mountains to repair my Dad's jeep. 2015 Rubicon jku... sector Shaft sheered off at the pitman arm on a real easy trail.... bumped a tree with right front tire and snap..(trail was ice and snow covered). He was in the trees so far back a trailer can't get to him. So... I have to go change out a steering box in a snow bank! LOL! He is 78, and I know he had to do some crazy things to help me as a teen... so here we go... hopefully I bring all the right parts- his jeep is 240 miles away at the end of a road. There were no steering boxes in Montana, so I have had to wait a couple days for one to get here. Should be in Tomorrow afternoon. I had him buy a pitman arm too, the shaft is sheered inside the arm... so I'm thinking it will be easier just to put a new one on. So if you are thinking of me on wed this week... I could use some help for it to all go smoothly.

As you can see he brushed the metal bumper and took out the marker light too...
Old 10-16-2018, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I sure hope he wasn't alone and was able to hop a ride back.....and that he's not been camping out this whole time! LOL. Dang. Good luck with the repair. Building memories......
Old 10-19-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Yep, got a ride back... and I went up Tuesday Wed... he was 10 miles from pavement! I put a new pitman arm and steering box in... in a snow bank! Bungie corded the fender on and drove her back... no leaks and drives straight... so after 250 miles it looks like I got it done right!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow... that's going to be a tough bit of work in the snow. Be sure to bring more PS fluid than you expect to use as you'll need to bleed that system.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job Son! It pays to take care of us older guys. I'm taking my 2015 Hardrock up elk hunting here in Colorado in a couple of weeks. I'll try to watch out for that nasty thump that breaks things. I think the cold is a problem most people don't pay much attention too. Years ago I was way back in the sticks and it was around zero. We came across this little creek and there was a Ford Diesel pickup abandoned by the bank and I could see a broken pitman arm and shaft laying under it. It didn't look like too tough a spot and I figured the wrong stress at the wrong along with the cold stacked up to a bad scene. Nobody was around so I couldn't help, but I did spend a little pity thinking of the poor guy having to come back and work in those conditions. I'm glad your pop was OK and you were able to rescue his Jeep. You're a good kid.

Quick Reply: Dun da dunnn