Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

DW Help...

Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,603 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-clunk-139516/

I think there's a lot of reading material both here and on JKowners. Again, I've never had a reason to research steering boxes so haven't read a ton on the topic, but this seems to be a common issue, especially on the earlier models. I think you need to focus on this area....the box and intermediate shaft. I'd try to resolve that first as it could be all or a lot of your problems. Reading a bit sounds like that does cause some steering wheel shake over bumps and such. Seems a lot of people were greasing their intermediate shafts to quite the clunk, but that doesn't sound to me like a fix, just a bandaid.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-clunk-139516/

I think there's a lot of reading material both here and on JKowners. Again, I've never had a reason to research steering boxes so haven't read a ton on the topic, but this seems to be a common issue, especially on the earlier models. I think you need to focus on this area....the box and intermediate shaft. I'd try to resolve that first as it could be all or a lot of your problems. Reading a bit sounds like that does cause some steering wheel shake over bumps and such. Seems a lot of people were greasing their intermediate shafts to quite the clunk, but that doesn't sound to me like a fix, just a bandaid.
I've read a bit into this some, but will dive deeper. I did order a new steering shaft to eliminate it as a contributing factor, although there doesn't seem to be much clunking or play in the sliding joint. I'll hone in on this & see what I can figure out though.

Quick Reply: DW Help...