Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR PO404 Error

Old 03-13-2017, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR PO404 Error

I have 2007 wrangler-X, bare bones, 6-spd with 130k miles. In november I got a few PO404 errors that I cleared and never came up again. Last month I got that dreaded intake/coolant leak on the drivers side. I replaced the manifold gasket and got that all squared away. Since I was there and it gave me troubles earlier this winter, I replaced the EGR valve. It's been great for a month and I started getting the error again. It is always at the same time. After about 45-50mins driving, around 40-50 mph, wet snowy weather 40 Deg F and EGR commanded to be 100%. Any help would be great....Thanks, Z

Just for the sake of saying it, I was surprised to see so much blow-by in the intake manifold for the care that I have given this rig. Always clean oil etc. It did not look to be exhaust but blacked oil in intake manifold area. I run no muffler just the CAT and the rig has used 1quart of oil between changes since the 60K mile mark. I do not want to throw another EGR at it. I have the "freeze Frame" data to share if anyone is techy.....
Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have cleaned the grounds and reset error a few times. No cure yet. Freeze frame data reports valve commanded to be 100% with 25-35% error. According to the formula for the percent error [(Actual EGR Position – Commanded EGR) ÷ Commanded EGR] = EGR Error. My EGR is +25-35% apparently more open than it is supposed to be. I have a rather "dumb" scan tool so I cannot command it open and closed at will or capture any data until a recognized error occurs. I am temped to put the old EGR back in and see what happens. I think I read in the Haynes manual that sometimes the dealer will need to reset parameters after an EGR is replaced? I have found no other reference to this...... Still looking for ideas..... Thanks
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 and I have been through 4 or 5 egr valves. Last one went in under 6 months. Had it replaced with an OEM one. Hopefully it will last a couple of years.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Still having issues with P404 error

Since the last post I've reset the error maybe 15 times. I finally got fed up with it cleaned the OEM EGR and put it back in. It lasted a week and coded out again. This time the error was around -100%. The "new" valve was giving me errors of around -36% (I think?). Im reluctant to try another new valve, I do not want to visit the dealer, I have checked quite a few things that lead up to it being the valve itself. Anyone have good information on this valve for testing purposes? Thanks.......Z
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have any good information just wanted to say I finally got the 404 code after 147K miles. Stayed on for ~200 miles and went off. Dealer replaced it under warranty and have not had an issue since. That was two weeks ago.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I did finally breakdown and replaced the EGR again. I got about 3-4 months of no code. Now Wham! Its a daily event. Considering buying factory EGR from dealer but just hate to spend the money. I have checked all grounds and wires etc. At this point, I just want to bypass the system. Does anyone know a good way to go about that? I think the newbies call that an EGR Delete? Its the same kind of error P0404. Basically stating the EGR is not in the position it is commanded to be in. I have not had the current one out to bench test. When I bench test the others, they open when energized and the feedback (reference circuit) seems to act like the potentiometer that it is. Thanks, Z

Quick Reply: EGR PO404 Error