Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electronic Throttle 'Dead Zone' at highway speeds?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Throttle 'Dead Zone' at highway speeds?

Lo All,

Need to pick some brains on this one as I'm stumped. I've an 07 JKX w/45k miles 4.10 gears and 35" tyres. Here's the issue. When on the highway and I'm trying to maintain speeds above 60mph, throttle response completely stops when I hit 2k RPM's. When I try to accelerate lightly past the 2k RPM/60 MPH mark, I feel what I consider to be a lot of pedal travel but see no increase in RPM's at all until the pedal reaches a point prompting the transmission to downshift, which kicks RPM's to 3k+. Once downshift happens, I can then get to my desired cruising speed, but when the transmissions upshifts back into OD and RPM's drop to the 2k range, I slowly decelerate and am unable to maintain the speed. I spent 7 hours on the highway today continuously jumping from 2k RPM to 3k+ after kick down and back. My average MPG was around 13. Now I do understand I could probably stand to re-gear and it's on my 'to-do' list however, is it normal for the ETC to have such a dead zone with no throttle response?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Sounds normal for the pre-2012 JKs. Mine does the same thing.

Yours is probably worse, though, because of the bigger tires.

It's not really a dead zone in the ETC. The engine just can't make any more power at the lower rpm in O/D.
You are on the right track thinking you need to re-gear.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn your OD off and enjoy the ride. Unfortunately this is the life with the 4spd auto. Very poor factory gearing in the transmission and overdrive is way too steep. A programmer will help but regearing to 4.88 or 5.13 will do the trick and you will get better mileage. The sweet spot for good economy is around 21-2200rpm.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured gears was a major factor. I will be looking into a tuner as well. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle 'Dead Zone' at highway speeds?