Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine about to throw a rod @ 39k

Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Sorry to hear of your troubles. How did they decide on 8 as the magic number? The maximum interval is 6k miles or 6 months. I figure you "needed" 6 changes. If you were out of town for some changes, did you use a credit card? Or do you remember the place that did the work? (they should have a record)

Also, I believe they need to prove it was the lack of oil changes that caused the damage before they can make you demonstrate you did the changes. (but I may be wrong) Either way, they have the burden of proof.

What exactly is damaged/broken? Any history of excessive oil use?
They are being unreasonable and looking for a receipt for every oil change since the vehicle was purchased. Of course, they are hoping that the OP bows out and just pays for the repair.

I would be half tempted to start the thing up and drive it through the side of their shop.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
im not sure how the dealer can make you prove that you had the oil changed 8 times by a mechanic. i believe its the opposite, they must prove that you didnt have it changed.
x2

They can't deny your warranty claim until they can prove that the failure was due to a lack of proper oil changes on your part. THEN you might have to prove that they were done. But until then, you don't have to prove anything. The engine is dead. The engine is covered by their lifetime warranty. End of story.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

It seems like the manufacters are always looking to get out of warrantying something. I blew a spark plug through the head in my Ford E-250 and it took a month to get a rep to the dealer and to get the work approved. Sometimes its just a stupid dance they do but don't let them get away with not covering it. If they say no, tell them this is not the last time they hear from you and don't even let the dealer touch the truck anyone. Bring a flatbed and get it out of there, this will show you mean business.
Or better yet, tell them if they fixxed your JK that you would consider their debt with you paid back for all your taxes that went to their bailout.

Last edited by Sethc84; 05-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Call Chrysler Corporate @ 1 (800) 992-1997

39K is about where I was at when I had a spun bearing/ engine replacement 4 months ago.

Corporate is prompt at returning calls and was reasonable with my issue.

With a $750 deductable they replaced the engine, heads and provided a rental.

edit: (I don't have the lifetime warranty)
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I have all my oil changes done at the dealer. They take 8 hours to change oil, but at least they have the records.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Meatsandwich,

I am hoping with the lifetime warranty and not having the need for a rental car that i can get out of this for free, which i should.

Did they ask for your service records as well?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do they know it's "about to throw a rod?"

A "Thrown Rod" is simply a broken broken connecting rod. If it isn't broken yet, how do they know it's "about to break?" I'm wondering about their diagnosis already.

Whatever happens, do not let them get rid of the rod. There's a good chance there was a defect in the rod or other problems.

I would also have them keep all of the oil & oil filter.

And what about the oil pump, was it tested to see if it was working properly?

just some ideas.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

So i just got off the phone from the service manager and they said they "think" its a rod about to be thrown. and since i only brought them "4" oil change reciepts i need to pay up for a new engine. well dumbass i brought you 5 first of all and i shouldnt need to show you them. Allthough i have had 7 total changes

They cant tell for certain that its a rod but from the sound clip i heard of the spun bearing it sounds similar. And the supposed chrsler rep was just a dealer rep.

I have a call in to chrysler and am waiting on my escalation return call.

I am about to do what was mentioned before. Drive something right through their office and then maybe burn it down. but trying to stay calm here and wait for the resonse.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get a new engine.....

I would seriously not start running Full Synthetic oil till the motor is broken in properly at least 3K miles (5k km's). Always use regular oil for engine break-in. The synthetic oil will not allow the new parts to 'wear in' or 'scrub in', so it should NOT be used for break-in processes.

Good luck with the process hope it all works out for you kind of crazy they would not warranty this right away being powertrain issue. However, if you have to fork out the cost, just talk with a few of the forum sponsor's that dump out the 3.8's for Hemi swaps you may get a sweet deal for a 3.8 V6.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by spartan99
That's why I have all my oil changes done at the dealer. They take 8 hours to change oil, but at least they have the records.
Spartan,

What dealership do you go to that takes 8hrs for LOF? I've been taking mine to Normandin and am always out by 830am.

Pat

Quick Reply: Engine about to throw a rod @ 39k